You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-7-2014 09:27:37  #1

What is an 'overpassing' key?

I came aross the term in a user manual from the 1950s, but have no idea what it means, and my 'favourite search engine' returns nothing relevant.
Any ideas?

Sincerely,
beak.

02-7-2014 22:00:40  #2

Re: What is an 'overpassing' key?

I suspect you haven't heard it before because it's just a poor translation. Back in the '50s, as is all too common today, manuals were sometimes translated very poorly (don't get me started on the subject). I don't know which manual you read it in, but my guess is that it's referring to a tabulator by-pass key; using it allows you to by-pass a tab stop without clearing it. You could sort of consider it to be a tab key that ignores tab stops.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-7-2014 01:04:34  #3

Thanks.
Trying to imagine what use that would be to anyone.  I guess if you have several stops towards the left of the page, and you wanted to reach one over to the right it could help, but wouldn't that be too rare to merit a special key?  Perhaps not.

Sincerely,
beak.

03-7-2014 13:55:02  #4

I suppose there were a lot of intricate or complex circumstances in typewriter-based offices requiring tricky workarounds for which a typist would welcome a special key. Another good example is those six-key decimal tab setups for lining up the decimal point for various size numbers; on our computers the regular tab key does it all with a single key (after someone designs the tab setup, perhaps years before you went to work there). 

It's that perpetual User Interface problem: would you rather remember which of 125 keys does what you need or which combination of 6 keys?

Uwe, in using that bypass key, would you hold it down while it bypassed all the tabs you didn't want and then let it up in time to catch the one you did want? Man, talk about typing rhythm!

03-7-2014 23:35:45  #5

M. Höhne wrote:

Uwe, in using that bypass key, would you hold it down while it bypassed all the tabs you didn't want and then let it up in time to catch the one you did want? Man, talk about typing rhythm!

I don't remember to be honest. I think I only have one (maybe two) machines with such a key; as you would expect, not only isn't it one that I have much use for, but at the moment I can't even remember which machine(s) has it. I'm fairly sure it was one with a decimal tabulator, which narrows the field considerably. I'll have to look for it some time and try it out again, but my gut tells me that it worked like a tab key with the carriage moving only so long as it was depressed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera