You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2019 10:13:34  #1

New typewriter?

I have an astronomer friend who has asked for recommendations for a newly-made typewriter - by which I assume he means electric, but perhaps not - for typing astronomical observations on index cards. He said he doesn't want to mess around with "vintage mechanical things". 

I'm going to reply that very often vintage = more reliable than modern, and that I will also ask the Great Minds who dwell herein. So, your suggestions are welcome. He did not offer up a budget, but I imagine not expensive (whatever that means, of course). 

He is based in both the US and Spain. 

14-1-2019 10:14:25  #2

Re: New typewriter?

...ah, I should have said, "not an astronomical price!"...

14-1-2019 11:49:36  #3

I assume he means electronic, not electric, if he doesn't want to deal with a decades-old, used typewriter. There are plenty of sources for electronic typewriters, and as an example he could pick up a Royal Scriptor from Staples. I'm not sure if he'll consider the $180 to be an astronomical price, but considering he could potentially use it for a lot more than just index cards it's not a lot of money for a modern-day gadget.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-1-2019 15:27:39  #4

That looks the biz. Thanks, Uwe. Appreciated.

14-1-2019 18:28:13  #5

There are many, many electronic typewriters like the Royal Scriptor out there, for really dirt cheap -- $20 and under. I have a Smith-Corona that someone gave me, for instance. He could check Craigslist in the area near where he is in the US to see. He definitely should check the machine out first, though, to be sure it works -- and make sure it comes with an instruction manual since sometimes the controls aren't intuitive!

14-1-2019 18:38:00  #6

Thanks, Fleetwing. I'll let him know. Cheers.

15-1-2019 04:32:21  #7

Your friend might be better off with a 'vintage mechanical thing' in the long run.  Many modern electronic typewriters cannot cope with record cards.  One particular Brother electronic model used to break off the plastic paper pan mountings when a postcard was fed through.  I have had to repair several like that.  Also, a spooled ribbon will not suddenly run out at a critical moment like a disposable carbon ribbon cartridge does.  He would be best off with something like an Adler Gabrielle or Olympia Monica/SM8/SM9 which has proper cardholders and a large diameter platen.  A good manual typewriter can type on anything from just thicker than tissue paper right through to medioum card.  An electroic cannot.  Final word !  Tell him to steer clear of the 'new' Chinese-made Nakajima clones.  He would be better off with a ball point pen

15-1-2019 05:12:47  #8

Cheers, Tom. I did wonder about both the ability to handle record cards, and the choice of ribbons or cartridges. Good to know the SM8/9 have cardholders. That would be my preference. I'll let him know. Thanks again. 

Board footera