You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2018 02:01:28  #1

Two questions about the Rooy ultraportable...

I have an opportunity to purchase a Rooy ultraportable typewriter and I have two questions for the TT cognoscenti:

1. I would be purchasing it from a person who is not familiar with its operation. When I handled it, I could not seem to find the technique to make the carriage return handle stay in the retracted position for closing the case - it worked once but I couldn't replicate it. In the Rooy (Roxy) manual, it states "Push the line space lever to right and lower its movable arm into locking position. Push carriage right up to stop". The arm folds fine, the carriage stops in the correct position, but the arm remains tilted out blocking the case from closing. Any tips or tricks for this procedure would be most welcome.

2. There's a UK ribbon seller on fleaBay that sells "1 x Rooy *BLACK* Typewriter Ribbon Twin Spool - Air Sealed With Eyelets.... 12.7mm Width Ribbon.... This ribbon will fit an "Rooy" typewriter which requires a ribbon with eyelets to enable the ribbon reverse to operate correctly." Is this the correct ribbon for the ultraportable model?

Thank-you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

09-1-2018 04:28:05  #2

Re: Two questions about the Rooy ultraportable...

I am in the UK and I can tell you that seller hasn't got a clue !  The Rooy takes an 11mm ribbon and the spools are very hard to find.  If the machine has the original spools, I can supply new 11mm ribbon fabric to wind onto them.  http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/supplies.html   No, this isn't an advert ! If you are in the USA, I can suggest a supplier of 11mm ribbon fabric that might work out cheaper for you. 

09-1-2018 18:33:58  #3

In the ribbon seller's defence, Rooy portables may have used 11 mm ribbon, but didn't the intermediate and standard models use 13 mm ribbon? The quote in the OP didn't specify which model the ribbon is for, other than a model that required grommets to actuate the ribbon reverse.

OP: I don't own a Rooy, but have models that use a similar system of folding the line space lever down. Some of these systems require that you hook the lever on the inside of the carriage knob when you fold it down to keep it in place, and it then acts as a carriage lock; perhaps this is what you need to do with your Rooy?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-1-2018 11:22:33  #4

My Roxy carriage return stays in the position for closing according to directions. It is currently in Portland being cleaned and refreshed or I would check.

I love the instructions in the '50s art style with the poodle holding the Roxy in its mouth by the strap. I printed out the download and assembled. Oooo-la-la!

10-1-2018 17:28:10  #5

Ooooo-la-la! illustrated ...

22-1-2019 13:31:18  #6

I have a nice Rooy pot table, AZERTY keyboard, of course (QWERTY’s are rare). If you examine how the return lever locks the carriage you will see that the left hand platen knob has an inset rim. Into this rim goes the pip on the inside of the folding part of the return lever. So carriage to the left of centre,actuate the return lever without allowing the carriage to move, fold the the lever making sure that the pip (right, bottom of folding part) sits within the groove on the rim of the platen knob and it should stay there. Hope it works for you.

22-1-2019 13:37:27  #7

As regards ribbon, go with Typewriterman with confidence. If you have an original but dry ribbon give WD40 a try, out of the machine, of course. Worked for mine.

21-2-2019 05:40:12  #8

Woodman wrote:

I have a nice Rooy pot table, AZERTY keyboard, of course (QWERTY’s are rare). If you examine how the return lever locks the carriage you will see that the left hand platen knob has an inset rim. Into this rim goes the pip on the inside of the folding part of the return lever. So carriage to the left of centre,actuate the return lever without allowing the carriage to move, fold the the lever making sure that the pip (right, bottom of folding part) sits within the groove on the rim of the platen knob and it should stay there. Hope it works for you.

Thank-you very much for your reply, Woodman!

The Rooy I have is a QWERTZ model very similar to the one below:

Your suggestion worked for me! 

I was missing out on the fact that the pip's position relative to the platen knob circumference is changed by raising and lowering the folding part of the return lever, but now I can easily lock it into the platen knob groove for storage. I'm not surprised that there is a logical technique for this given the beautiful design of the Rooy, but I had been stumped without your explicit description to get beyond the cryptic line ("Push the line space lever to right and lower its movable arm into locking position.") in the official instruction manual.

Thank-you again!

Board footera