You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-1-2019 10:04:31  #1

Royal Companion Lower and Upper Case Adjustment? Where is it?

I'm am trying to figure out where the adjustment for the strike height of the upper and lower case alignment, does anybody know where it is?

24-1-2019 14:31:06  #2

24-1-2019 15:32:17  #3

Re: Royal Companion Lower and Upper Case Adjustment? Where is it?

I've tried that one already, it wasn't helpful in locating the adjustments.

25-1-2019 00:04:02  #4

Hi Gryffin

If you could give us the serial number of your Royal Companion, and where the machine was made, this will help narrow down which series of Royal typewriter you have. Royal reused many of their model names from the 1930's right up to the 1970's, so a Royal Companion could be one of several different models, built in the USA, Holland or Japan. All the best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

25-1-2019 00:22:38  #5

Hi Again Gryffin

Just saw your pictures in the New Member Thread, this looks like a 1930's unit built in the USA. Next question, is this a carriage shift or basket shift? I have a book that covers basic adjustments on these machines, but be jiggered if I can put my hands on it right now. Cheers,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

25-1-2019 00:36:29  #6

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Again Gryffin

Just saw your pictures in the New Member Thread, this looks like a 1930's unit built in the USA. Next question, is this a carriage shift or basket shift? I have a book that covers basic adjustments on these machines, but be jiggered if I can put my hands on it right now. Cheers,

Sky

It is indeed a Made in United States of America, that is what is on the back.
It is carriage shift, meaning the platen get's moved up and down.
The serial is - CD-218527R

That should help narrow it down. Now I have received some information on this model and it seems that I am being told it uses tabs for stops and that you bend or form them to adjust it. Can you confirm and is there a way you adjust them?

26-1-2019 13:22:08  #7

OK, if it's carriage shift, then the link I gave you has another writeup that deals with carriage shift adjustments.

26-1-2019 22:35:30  #8

Here is the link for carriage shift machines; hopefully it'll give you an idea of where to look: https://munk.org/typecast/2013/08/01/typewriter-repair-101-adjusting-vertical-typeface-alignment-carriage-shift-typewriters/#comment-167930

27-1-2019 00:21:34  #9

Hi Gryffin

The typewriter database indicates you have a 1930 or 1931. Looking at a 1935 model O, S/N O-476568 which is also a carriage shift, here's what I see. Move the carriage to the far right (past the margin stop) and look beside the main spring drum between the carriage rails. You should see what looks like a slotted setscrew with a nut around it . This is the left hand upper stop, the right hand upper stop is at the other end of the carriage rails. The lower stops are directly below these screws and are accessed from the bottom of the typewriter. The stop screws on my model-O have flat heads that contact the carriage stop tabs and springs around the screw shafts.

As well as getting the upper and lower case alignment set, one also needs to get the letters printing properly. If the top of the letters are printing lighter than the bottom, or vise versa, the type is "off feet". Get the lower case letters printing properly "on feet", then adjust the upper case position to get the letters "on motion". Once the upper and lower case is properly aligned, the upper case letters should also be "on feet" to use Smith-Corona's words.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

27-1-2019 01:32:06  #10

skywatcher wrote:

The typewriter database indicates you have a 1930 or 1931.

The Companions are on a different serial number sequence than the "A,B,O" models. CD-218527R would make it 1941, assuming the R suffix does not affect the dating. I am not sure what the R suffix indicates. Rebuild maybe?

Board footera