You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2019 13:33:17  #11

Re: German-language typewriter -- serviced or good order -- possib prices?

sirius, surely you don't want to sell your grandmother's W35? Most collectors would be over the moon to own a machine with such personal provenance. If (when) I sell off my entire collection, one of the few machines I would keep would be my mother's '53 Smith-Corona Silent, but then again maybe I'm just the sentimental type?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2019 15:56:27  #12

"Uwe" wrote:

sirius, surely you don't want to sell your grandmother's W35?

I understand your concerns. I don't like to dig out many personal details in public, but suffice it to say that I am by no means disregarding memories towards my grandmother. I do own many pieces of family heritage (including from my grandmother), so it is not as if I would give away the single link of the family. Then, I had a much stronger personal relationship with my grandfather than my grandmother and would be much more reluctant to giving away things from him (I even wear his old cravats...).

I'm an actual user of my typewriters, not a collector, and this typewriter doesn't really fit the way I use them, which is the reason why I don't even have it at my flat, where there is only so much space available. My grandmother later also used a mechanical standard and even later an electrical typewriter, so there are even more typewriters to serve memories. It's not that there's only this particular machine.

So, I hope these explanations make my intentions a little more understandable and I do not receive your rightful anger.

(and yes, you spotted the typo: it's a 35, not a 36)

sirius

07-2-2019 13:49:01  #13

Partly for similar concerns, partly from brute practicality, I've just arranged to buy an Erika from a British dealer -- with sirius' kind blessing and now a new contact in Germany. I'll send him a full German letter as soon as it's arrived.

07-2-2019 13:51:58  #14

My public thanks to such a kind gentleman too.

07-2-2019 14:51:45  #15

"Tristan" wrote:

Partly for similar concerns, partly from brute practicality, I've just arranged to buy an Erika from a British dealer -- with sirius' kind blessing and now a new contact in Germany. I'll send him a full German letter as soon as it's arrived.

I eagerly await it and will reply once I receive it. Thank you!

Uwe: the Continental Wanderer 35 is thus still with me now. Unless somebody specifically asks me for it, I'll probably not sell it.

"Tristan" wrote:

My public thanks to such a kind gentleman too.

You are welcome.

20-2-2019 13:48:50  #16

@Tristan: I sent you a PM today.

Board footera