You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2019 19:07:27  #21

Re: Typewriter movie! California Typewriter!

I find the documentary very interesting, not maybe from a collectors point of view but more as an anthropological analysis about the typewriters in the XXI century. Of course, "like all the films", is a bit shallow or partial than the "original book", because you can't condense all the variety of uses, collectors, movements around it (or yes, but you will need a whole TV series in Netflix). Once said that I find that the film is an excellent starting point for a good discussion, about key choppers, musicians, artist, writers, new generations or the raise the prices of typewriters. I find all this topics something to discuss about, naturally, and not accusing or blaming anybody. In the end we all love typewriters because of different reasons, and this film is a mirror of that: how been so different people we are all so interested and amazed by such a machine. 

In the other hand I saw also The Typewriter (in the 21st Century) documentary, when it was published in youtube, and I have to say that is was a pain to see. The interviewer doesn't know how to get the best of very interesting people, some of the interviews are not that interesting, at least for me, and the editing is absolutely terrible, not something that I actually enjoyed. But again, maybe is a good starting point for some more interesting discussions. 

11-3-2019 23:10:53  #22

I bought it. I watched it. I don't know. I almost find the documentary "The Typewriter (In the 21st Century)", (which is currently totally available on Youtube), a better film. California Typewriter is a bit over the top in my opinion. As someone who believes that the Typewriter is the ONLY way, it is disappointing how much of a BIG DEAL they seem to make it feel that the typewriter is. I can't imagine anything but the typewriter period. I don't need to be told it's SO special. It's a typewriter. It's different than ANYTHING else, and you can't beat it. PERIOD. 

14-3-2019 21:17:41  #23

Ektagraphic wrote:

As someone who believes that the Typewriter is the ONLY way, it is disappointing how much of a BIG DEAL they seem to make it feel that the typewriter is. I can't imagine anything but the typewriter period. I don't need to be told it's SO special. It's a typewriter. It's different than ANYTHING else, and you can't beat it. PERIOD. 

I really don't understand what is your point. If you say that the typewriter is the only way, that you can't imagine anything but the typewriter and you can't beat it, I guess you are making a BIG deal about it as well, right? ;) Anyway, caps are considered screaming in forums, so I would invite you to avoid them.  

23-6-2020 20:38:44  #24

I was sadden to find out that the California Typewriter Co. closed its doors this past Spring.  Owner retired and the family decided not to continue the effort.  Repairman Ken Alexander is now working across town at Berkeley Typewriter Co. 

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2020/02/21/berkeleys-california-typewriter-star-of-documentary-closes-shop

Board footera