You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-2-2019 16:44:23  #1

Olympia Mod. 8 - carriage movement

Hi there, 
I've found a new typewriter in my vicinity that I was able to pick-up for a low price. 
The fact it was available in my own town (which isn't very large), and is in very good cosmetic condition, made me want to give it a go and try to fix it.

So far, the only problem I've found is that the carriage will not move to the right (i.e. you can't do a carriage return), if you don't press the carriage release.
All other movement works just fine (carriage movement to the left is no problem either). 
What it looks like, is that the main star wheel that the carriage rides on, is stuck. At least, that's what I guess is the problem, because I believe this star wheel should be able to move freely. (I know how to take the carriage off, so I can freely access the star wheel itself, but haven't been able to take a good look at the escapement below it).

Is my assumption correct, and does nayone have any idea on where I should look to loosen this part? Or do you think there's some problem with the escapement that the star wheel won't turn freely clockwise? 

Thanks in advance for your advice/help as always!

25-2-2019 03:36:39  #2

Re: Olympia Mod. 8 - carriage movement

I've made a video that I put on youtube to illustrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdBvqaT9Nhk

26-2-2019 02:02:31  #3

Hey, I think I might have a similar problem on my model 8. I bought it yesterday and it seems to be in good state, but the carriage doesn't advance when typing or pressing the space bar. The backspace key works fine however.

The star wheel doesn't move as smoothly as yours though. Do you have any ideas?

26-2-2019 02:56:13  #4

I also made a video, but of the other side of the star wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRAYNt4oNFI

First you see the effect of pressing the spacebar. I think it's supposed to free up the star wheel to move one tick. The gray locking element should then be locking in the star wheel until the spacebar is pressed again. The problem is that the star wheel won't move unless I free up space in between the gray locking element and the black part behind it.

Board footera