You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2019 20:44:51  #791

Re: New Member Thread

Hi, I’ve just joined. I’m from Sydney, Australia. I found this place at the recommendation of Typewrter Man, who helped sort out some issues with my daughter’s Olivetti Lettera 35. My daughter is 7 years old, loves writing little stories, and wanted a typewriter because Snoopy used one on The Peanuts Movie. We found her typewriter in a local classifieds, and since fixing hers, I’ve become intrigued myself. I’m currently in the market for a machine myself.

07-2-2019 03:02:21  #792

Yes, Methylated Spirits should work.  Or even a strong solution of houshold detergent.  Welcome to the forum Rohan !

22-3-2019 18:40:24  #793

Hi all !
My name is Carlos, I'm an architect and I live in Madrid, Spain, so I see very far from all of you ..
I've always had an interest in old things, and I've been more interested in mechanical items .. I have a small collection of old photo cameras, (and they are not expensive ...) my interests are based more on the times of Before the Second World War, half of my cameras are German from the 20s and 30s, although I also later tego Bakelite and some previous Kodak ...
With that prior interest in this kind of thing, I have come across an inheritance from an old typewriter and that is why I have come to you ... looking for information.
I will create another message to ask my questions ...
Thank you very much to everyone in advance, it's great that there are sites like this ....

24-3-2019 12:08:26  #794

Hello Carlos, welcome to the forum. You are not that far from us; there are many members here from Europe, and a few that I know of from Spain. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-5-2019 19:00:38  #795

Hi all.  Tortoise here in the south western U.S.  New Mexico to be precise!  I just collected...  And by just,  I mean the last 4 or 5 weeks.  A motley collection of possible typers  to use for writing.  After a short bout of research I settled on a couple of Remington Quiet Riters, 2 Silent Super's, three Hermes 2000's, a SCM Super Sterling, and because no one was bidding on it, a Hermes 3000, my favorite so far.  To be honest I love them all.  An O.C.D. trait of mine.  I'm hoping to expound on this acquisition more with either photo's or video...  Really, the reason for the multiple machines was just the result of dealing with sellers on Ebay and trying to buy something that works!  A pain in the rear really but maybe a great topic for an informative post.  I'm not to techy anymore.  I've kind of developed a love, hate relationship over the computer and could give it up all the way if it was easier shopping here in the desert.  I am an A.A. member...  that's Addicted to Amazon.  And their just about the only way to shop in our little one horse  town.  Gotta go.  The dogs are barking.  Probably another rattlesnake!  Take care, Tortoise

31-5-2019 19:55:06  #796

Newbie here. Joined recently after retiring and getting involved in typing a journal and also cleaning/repairing my small collection of typewriters.

So far I have:
Corona Portable Model #3
Royal Portable Model 0
Underwood Model #S
Smith Corona Sterling
Smith Corona Silent Super
Cole Steel Portable
Royal Mercury Portable
Smith-Corona Coronet 10 Electric

My other hobbies include photography and vintage film camera collecting, vintage phones, clocks and tube radios.    I also have a modest machine shop in my garage and an assortment of power and hand tools for wood working. I also most fortunate to have a beautiful and very understanding wife.

02-6-2019 12:24:48  #797

Welcome to the forum, John.  I shudder whenever I see a Cole Steel (ABC) on anyone's list. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-6-2019 17:27:10  #798

I've read of your "love" of the Cole Steel escapement, Uwe. Thankfully the Cole I have is working just fine. Now wether it will continue to work is a big question. I've also read that some users really dislike typing on a CS. I on the other hand rather like the one I have. 

28-6-2019 08:42:47  #799

Hello! I think I might have gone off the deep end with my first post being the Maintenance &  Repair category, but hopefully I’ll still be able to swim back to shallower shores with a short introduction here.

My name is TypeSlug, the reference being to that all-important piece of metal which makes typing possible -and to the fact that I’m not the fastest typist on the planet. I’m a very young typewriter user that calls Northern Pennsylvania his home. I have always been fascinated by typewriters, though it wasn’t until 2015 that I was given my first machine, and even then, it took me a further 2 years before I even became aware of the fact that I might just be interested in collecting these things.

Since then I’ve slowly amassed a small collection of various typewriters, some working, some not. Given my circumstances, the collection will likely stay pretty small. Still, I’ve found that I quite enjoy the machines I have, and they’ve given the an interesting perspective into the vast world of mechanical devices. So in a very basic sense that’s me, and I’m glad to be a part of the Typewriter Talk community!

28-6-2019 10:30:00  #800

Welcome, Slug! 

Board footera