You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2019 14:12:48  #1681

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Something else to add to the above post -- some additional cost-cutting measures Olympia made during the 70s, at least based on my inspection of the machine. First, gone are the color-coded sections of the internal assembly -- everything is dark gray, the same color as the lower external shell. No more red- and blue-colored assemblies. And the large yellow levers to release the carriage have been replaced with gray tabs on either side of the frame, which slide forward and back. Not inferior to the previous design, just different. The sticky keys are proving to be a challenge -- all but a couple or three are working fine now, but I have had to really scrub the lower portions of the typebars to get the stuff off, with the help of mineral spirits and lighter fluid.

As for the 1972 SG3, that's pretty much fully working now. Somehow, the bell clapper mechanism (that is, the end that is tripped by the margin stop) had gotten caught on the end of the margin release. It's almost as if this had been done on purpose, since these are not accessible without removing the rear panel. (Was the bell too loud?)  I spent a fair amount of time tweaking the alignment of the right hand margin stop, which controls not just the bell but the line lock. Fortunately there are a couple of screws that are easily accessible on either side of the margin stop, and which can vary the point of contact of the margin stop with the bell trip and the line lock. Right now, the line lock engages when the letter keys are depressed, but if using the space bar, the lock does not engage. So there's a "sweet spot" I haven't found yet. Also, the margin release mechanism would not reset once the release key was depressed, but some sewing machine oil got the plunger working again properly. That took a while to figure out.

Finally, what was initially most troubling about the machine, both in terms hindering its function and of my not knowing how to fix it, seems to have fixed itself. The platen turned only with a significant amount of effort -- something was binding in the mechanism. I feared that maybe the carriage had gotten dropped, and the feed roller axles might have gotten bent. Paper would load only with great effort. But first one, and then another, copper penny was disgorged from underneath the platen, All works smoothly now -- feeds perfectly.

The type face is pica and serif -- looks like Olympia's Pica no. 12. But it has its own 1 character (unlike Pica no. 12) rather than using the lower case L, and the 1 looks much like the one I just typed, though with a longer "slope" to the top of the character -- very Euro looking.

Thanks for "listening."

04-4-2019 14:36:19  #1682

Yes, Olympia did cheapen the SG3 as the years went on.  One of the first things that happened was that the SG3L (luxe) disappeared.  (The model with double print spacing a paper injector) and the SG3N (norm) became the default model.  The 'slide' carriage locks were a function of replacing the cast alloy side frames with stamped metal plates.  This actually made the machine more difficult to clean in the field.  You could easily insert a long typewriter cleaning brush through the gaps in the cast sides, but not through the stamped ones.  The stamped plates were on the last of the German-produced machines.  This problem solved itself when production switched to Mexico for the final few years.  Although more plastic internal parts appeared, the original-style cast side frames re-appeared.  Thank goodness !  Typewriter engineers and conscientious typists could once more get into the sides of the machine to give it a good clean !

04-4-2019 15:15:17  #1683

Thanks, Tom. So I have a 1968 SG3N, and these two "L" models, from 1972 and 1978. At what point did the L model disappear, do you know?

Also, something I've never been able to figure out: How do I swap the paper supports from one machine to another? For the life of me I can't see how to remove the paper support, and I've never come across anything describing how to do it! (I now have five SG1s and three SG3s, and only three paper supports among them.)

05-4-2019 03:15:48  #1684

I'm not exactly sure when Olympia dropped the SG3L, but would guess perhaps around 1975.  Uwe might know more about this.  Regarding the paper support removal, you are probably being a bit over-cautious.  They simply snap out of their (leaf) spring-loaded guides.  They are  a tight fit, so snapping one side out and then pulling the other side out might be easier.  If you want to be ultra-careful - ease the spring with a screwdriver as you lift the paper support.  This is why paper supports go missing on Olympias.  The springs stretch and the support becomes loose.  It gets taken off the machine because it is a nuisance and then lost. The SGE50 electric used the same paper support and suffered from the same problem.

05-4-2019 06:14:09  #1685

Thanks, Tom. Just to confirm -- the guides you're referring to are the metal slotted tubes on the typewriter itself?

05-4-2019 12:09:26  #1686

To be absolutely sure - we are talking about the wide clear plastic paper rest that is attached to the top of the carriage ?  It is not held in place by tubes but by a leaf spring with a curved end that goes two thirds of the way around the silver-colured metal insert in the paper rest.

05-4-2019 12:32:38  #1687

You and I are on the same page -- I hadn't realized it was more of a leaf spring. Tried removing the paper rest a little while ago and it went just as you said. I had thought the spring was more unyielding, and would snap the plastic paper rest if I forced it. Thanks for the instruction!

10-4-2019 19:18:18  #1688

I recently picked up a 1933 Royal OT from near Goderich, ON (sorry to other Kijiji hunters!)  

I had the seller check the typeface, and he confirmed that the capital W had "four points", so of course I was salivating the whole way there... sadly he was mistaken (old eyes!); however the machine is in near-pristine condition, and types like a machine 15 years newer.  I'm excited to give it a JJ Short "spa day"!

The interesting thing is that the seller graciously provided his father's name & brief bio (original owner).  Google provided the following image, which (quite likely; I'll look closer someday) has typed elements using the typewriter I now have the honour of owning!  So cool.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/e7/04/ce/31516d5c507494/US2021566-drawings-page-2.png

11-4-2019 07:57:34  #1689

Fragpie wrote:

.... snip ....
I had the seller check the typeface, and he confirmed that the capital W had "four points", so of course
.... snip ....

I would not know how to answer whether a W had "four points" or not. What does that mean?

11-4-2019 08:07:11  #1690

It means Vogue typeface

Board footera