You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-5-2019 07:15:36  #11

Re: Groma Kolibri vs Olympia SM9 vs Olivetti Lettera 32

Uwe wrote:

I'd opt for the SG3; there's no risk given it's only $10, and if it's in half decent condition you have a machine that you can type all day with. Next choice the SM9. As for size, here's a comparison of the two side-by-side:

Thank you for the comparison. Everyone is very kind on this forum.

How much does a SG-3 weight ??.

28-5-2019 14:42:20  #12

shadowtypist wrote:

How much does a SG-3 weight ??.

It depends on the model (there were two variants of the SG3), its carriage size (four sizes were available), and where it was manufactured.

However, to give you an approximation here are the weights of a SG3N Mexican model fitted with the different carriages:33 cm (13 in.) carriage = 14.2 kg (31.3 lbs)
38 cm (15 in.) carriage = 15.0 kg (33.0 lbs)
46 cm (18 in.) carriage = 16.0 kg (35.3 lbs)
62 cm (24 in.) carriage = 18.7 kg (41.2 lbs) 
A SM9 by comparison is around 7 kg (15.5 lbs), without its travel case.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-5-2019 11:47:25  #13

Finally received the machine. The machine was filthy, rusted, and pieces of the plastic was falling off (some of the levers was broken). This entire purchase has been a disaster and has so disheartened me, that i no longer feel the typewriter love. Back to stupid computers for my writing .
What a SAD day.
I would like to thank everyone that replied to my question, you are truly men of honor and wisdom.

29-5-2019 12:44:43  #14

Well, what was it that you tried to buy. again?

29-5-2019 13:19:51  #15

An Olympia SM9 from 1975. From a danish version Craigslist. 30 bucks out the windows and a broken heart.

30-5-2019 03:08:47  #16

OK then, before you finally give up, is the Olympia SG-3 still available for $10 ?  Sounds like a bargain if it works and isn't too dirty.  Not too much to pay to find out ?  Don't give up !

30-5-2019 16:02:18  #17

Agree.

Conversely, it might not take that much work to turn your SM9 into a reliable typewriter. Rust and broken bits are not an uncommon thing when buying a forty-year-old typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-6-2019 15:17:07  #18

30 dollar from the window no! you paid 30 dollars to learn:
-ask before you buy the typewriter if it works correctly, and in any doubt ask for a type sample or even a video. 
- a good brand and a good model doesn't mean a good typewriter, it might have had a horrible life, abuse, storage in wet environment... 
- fixing a typewriter it might be possible, you have a typewriter to fiddle with, clean the rust, glue together the broken parts, see if is possible a repair in order to have it useable. 

Beyond all this lessons you have learned for only 30 dollars ;) I will also suggest a big standard (like the SG3) if you want to type for hours and hours. But if a unlucky purchase is going to stop you for doing that manuscript you were not so committed after all from the beginning. Touch typing, as well as cleaning and restoring typewriters it does require some patience, perseverance and time, money is just one of the details in this "hobby", or at least is my view. Don't give up, clean the machine, put the parts together, see if you can search any solution for problems in google, and if you don't find anything ask it here. 

11-6-2019 09:23:22  #19

A few new offers have shown up on the radar.

- Groma Gromina = 30 Dollars.
- Olivetti 22 Lettera = 75 Dollars.
- Smith and Corona Sterling = 75 Dollars.

Any advice one these machines Gentlemen ???

11-6-2019 14:27:27  #20

Obviously all depends on condition, but either the Olivetti or the Smith Corona should be good machines.  The Smith Corona is more suited to heavy use.  Both machines have readily-available ribbons.

Board footera