You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2019 15:53:16  #1

Silent Super type slugs not resting fully down.

The type for my Silent Super work just fine but they don't seem to want to rest properly.

SMITH CORONA Silent Super Typewriter-7 by

03-6-2019 16:26:29  #2

Re: Silent Super type slugs not resting fully down.

Two things to check :  Are any of the links under the typebars bent ? (you need to press the key to lift the typebar to check - you cannot lift the typebar with your fingers on this model).  Is the typebar rest bent down too far ?

03-6-2019 16:37:20  #3

Thanks for the quick response!

None of the type bars seem bent. I'll check the typebar rest to see if it is lower than is should be.

03-6-2019 18:10:52  #4

The typebar rest seems just fine. All linkages seem to work smoothly. 

04-6-2019 00:05:54  #5

Hi John

A few years ago, I bought a Smith-Corona Silent-Super that displayed the exact same symptom as yours, uneven type bar height and some gaps between the type slugs were wider than others. After some considerable research and fiddling, I found that all I needed to do was to adjust the type bar rest up just enough to cradle all the type bars. In other words, bring the type bar rest up to the level of the highest sitting type bar and all the others will be even. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-6-2019 10:49:37  #6

The type bar rest is adjusted as high as it will go. I do think the type bar rest is the clue though. I think the felt needs replaced. It's pretty well mashed down. That should help quite a bit to even things out but It'll have to be pretty thick for some of them.

Now to find some suitable felt at the local hardware store.

17-7-2019 12:57:32  #7

I finally removed the worn, dirty, smashed, smelly and disgustingly sticky felt and replaced it with a silicone rubber window seal that was the exact size needed. The type bars are now all resting snug in their new bed and are aligned as they should be. It was easier than I expected to remove the old felt. I just took a dental pick and scraped the gooey, sticky mess out, cleaned the metal rest bar with alcohol and inserted the new part which was attached with double stick tape.

17-7-2019 16:10:00  #8

Board footera