You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2019 12:12:39  #1

Olympia SM4 - Line Space Plunger Not Releasing Platen

Bit of a problem with the line space plunger--it's not releasing the platen! When I push it in, the platen still clicks once per line instead of rolling freely.

It was working fine until I had the bright idea of replacing the rubber on the platen. I removed the platen without a problem. Putting it back hasn't been as easy! It works fine otherwise. Types well, carriage return works. Just the line space plunger isn't what it used to be.

Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong?

Couple of other details that I've found curious and that may be related:

1. I've taken the platen off and put it back on at least a half dozen times. On a few occasions, the platen would not engage the line spacing mechanism at all and would just roll freely. Carriage return did not work. I could not figure out why it was not engaging.

2. There's a washer on the platen shaft that seems to do nothing. I've put it on the right side as that seems to be the only place for it, but it does not sit snugly. There's space on either side of it. Do I have it in the wrong spot?

I'm a relative newbie at typewriter repair, so please be gentle.

Dino

05-6-2019 05:52:26  #2

Re: Olympia SM4 - Line Space Plunger Not Releasing Platen

I think I figured out why the problem described in #1 was happening. When I screwed in the set screws for the platen shaft tightly, the platen would pull ever so slightly to the right, disengaging the gear on the left. The holes for the set screws seem to be too far to the right. I'm tempted to drill new holes in the platen shaft.

05-6-2019 06:58:56  #3

Dino wrote:

I think I figured out why the problem described in #1 was happening. When I screwed in the set screws for the platen shaft tightly, the platen would pull ever so slightly to the right, disengaging the gear on the left. The holes for the set screws seem to be too far to the right. I'm tempted to drill new holes in the platen shaft.

Oh, don't give in to that temptation! Olympias are designed and made well and do not have to be modified by users in order to work. You already admitted that that washer might be out of its proper place; maybe its proper place is where it will prevent the shifting you're seeing. Your best approach at this point is to find an SM4 in original condition that you can inspect to see how it should be. Possibly pics from somebody out here can answer that. Possibly this repair manual can answer that: https://sellfy.com/p/XJUO/ .

05-6-2019 11:53:20  #4

As a matter of fact, I just ordered that book this morning. You're right, I must be doing something wrong. I hope this book helps me figure out exactly what.

Board footera