You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-5-2019 13:39:24  #1

Questions on a Woodstock 5N

I'm sorting out this typewriter, first one I've owned. It came screwed onto a plywood board -- am I right that this is perhaps the way it came? I have seen pictures of Woodstocks mounted on a board, presumably to work with a cover (I've seen pictures of that too). So while I may leave it on the board for the time being, I may decide to remove the board and install new feet. Does anyone know offhand what the pitch of the threading for the screrws for the feet might be? I can take one of the screws to a hardware store but thought I'd ask.

Second question -- the paper table (the plate with the Woodstock logo) doesn't seem to be held in place. I see two small studs on the back, which appear to have beveled edges. I'm wondering whether they are meant to clip over the bottom of the bar that hold the margin index, or if they're supposed to be held in tension against that bar by means of springs hooking over each stud. Or is the table just supposed to rest against the bar? Looking over the Ames guide, I don't find anything that clarifies this.

Thanks.

07-6-2019 21:48:55  #2

Re: Questions on a Woodstock 5N

OK, let's not all rush to answer at once!  It appears the thread for the screws for the feet is metric (!) -- M6 x 1. Very hard to believe, but there you are. I checked thread gauges at several hardware stores and it's the correct size. How would an American-made typewriter from the 1920s use metric threading? 

08-6-2019 03:02:40  #3

That's unbelievable !  The only thing that I can think of it that it is actually some weird American thread that happens to be as close to M6 as makes no difference.  From memory, the thumb nuts that hold down the spools on an early Corona Three are also as incredibly close to a metric size.

09-6-2019 10:29:13  #4

Rightt now I'm trying to find rubber stoppers or gaskets that can serve as feet. Haven't found anything yet -- they'd need to be recessed 1/2 inch minimum on the bottom for the screw heads to not bottom out. Anyone trying drilling out a rubber stopper? How's it done?

Board footera