You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-6-2019 11:00:47  #1

Looking for a serial number (Olympia, probably SM2).

Hi all,
When the bug bites it seems to bite deep . I've just bought myself a beautiful Olympia SM2 (possibly 3....) for a good price. Seems to be in great condition but I can't find the serial number to do some background checking. Could someone please let me know where I should look? Having typed half a page with it I can understand why they are popular; it just feels right.
Thanks in advance!

22-6-2019 11:11:14  #2

Re: Looking for a serial number (Olympia, probably SM2).

If in doubt look under the typewriter..... the serial number appears to be 608977 which could well be a 1955 SM3. It was sold to me as a 1952 model; I don't particularly mind either way. It's got a German keyboard (QWERTZ plus various umlaut letters), just a matter of being careful when I type.

24-6-2019 15:37:59  #3

Mr58Catfish wrote:

… just bought myself a beautiful Olympia SM2 (possibly 3....)

Simple check: Does it have a tabulator?
Yes = SM3
No = SM2

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2019 11:52:56  #4

Thank you Uwe, I'll check.

26-6-2019 01:27:21  #5

Ok, I've got myself an SM3. Beautiful machine, original case but sadly the base of the case has split all round the edge. I can repair it, but it won't ever be as good as it originally was. The typewriter itself is great, I've not found any faults with it other than a minor paint chip. Mechanically sound. Happy man

Board footera