You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-6-2019 08:35:29  #1

The Olivetti Studio 45 Commands Respect

I just recently acquired a Olivetti Studio 45 and did some typing tests comparing it to an Olympia SM9, a Hermes 3000, and a Smith-Corona  Silent Super: all excellent typers. Of these four though, the Olivetti was the best. I know that the word best is subjective in this case, but I have no axe to grind, and I love all these machines. I’m just astonished that the Olivetti Studio 45, that was featured in the Chicago Art Institute and that is one of the the most striking examples of modernist design, doesn’t get more respect amongst the typewriting community. I really believe one reason is the “metal fetish” of typiewriter aficionados, myself included. The plastic body of the OS 45 is off putting to some. Once I got past that though, I realized that it is one of the best typing machines ever created, both aesthetically and practically. 

I’m being followed by a moon shadow.

28-6-2019 14:27:50  #2

Re: The Olivetti Studio 45 Commands Respect

I can see where you are coming from.  The Olivetti Lettera 32 is the same method of construction as the Studio 45 and is a popular machine, well regarded.  In fact the Studio 45 is like a larger version of the L32 in many respects.  I love to see the quality of the earlier Olivettis like the Lettera 22 and Lexicon 80 standard, but have to admit that the 1960's and later Olivettis are generally nice to use - and surely that is what it is all about if you are a user rather than a typewriter engineer !

29-6-2019 17:51:15  #3

I like this! more and more ultra fashionable models fetching astronomic prices, this is the only way ;) Getting the ugly ducklings seems to be an alternative to the typewriters that are priced like "I saw it for sale in Ebay for 600 dollars so it has to worth at least 400". Or as someone said in this forum, 200 dollars is a reasonable price... I personally don't feel attracted to plastic bodies, if anybody does, but we are talking about typing machines and if they do the job, then is fine. If is for collecting purposes then I rather go for a rare typewriter for 200 dollars rather than pay it for a machines that is produced by the millions! Thanks for sharing this machine, I will keep my eyes open for it. If I had to add something about the plastic body Olivetties I do have a Olivetti Dora that is pretty good typer as well, very flat, basket shift, and comfy to type on, nothing like the sturdy feeling of a heavy metal body of a 22 or a 32, but still just fine with it for a fraction of its "market price". 

[img][/img]

30-6-2019 03:04:24  #4

Furthermore, The Olivetti Dora is mechanically identical to the much-revered Olivetti Valentine and in most cases came from the same Barcelona plant !  It is also very similar inside to the Olivetti Lettera 32.  Who says that you can't have the Valentine typing experience for peanuts

30-6-2019 08:18:16  #5

Ah! an undercover Olivetti Valentine! This particular one is made in Ivrea, Italy, I guess that makes it more valuable (joke!). 

Board footera