You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2019 10:51:31  #1

Margin stop/ carriage binding on bell lever- Remington portable

On my Remington Model 5 Portable, the margin stop (A in the below picture) binds on the bell lever (B in the below picture). The bell lever is clearly beveled to allow the margin stop to pass over it... however the bell lever appears to be too high so that then the margin stop hits the bell lever it isn’t gliding over it. I can’t seem to tell if the margin stop is too low or the bell lever is too high. Is there an adjustment on this machine for this? I could carefully bend it with pliers but the machine was working fine earlier so I think it’s an adjustment. Thank you. Jim

https://m.imgur.com/GElpIho
https://m.imgur.com/RA98T3W

01-7-2019 13:04:18  #2

Re: Margin stop/ carriage binding on bell lever- Remington portable

Hi Jim

Just looked at my Remington Nº 5 streamlined portable and yes, your bell arm is bent. It looks like the chamfered  pin on the bell arm should be sitting perfectly vertical and the pin on the margin stop should contact the chamfer about 1/3 the way up the chamfer on carriage return.

When the bell is activated, the bell arm should swing horizontally while being pushed by the margin stop, then release as the pin passes the 'ding' point. On carriage return. the margin rail should lift vertically over the bell pin as the margin stop pin rides up and over the bell arm pin. Hope this makes sense,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-7-2019 23:10:50  #3

Re: Margin stop/ carriage binding on bell lever- Remington portable

Thanks Sky I believe you are correct. I am going to remove the piece and carefully bend it back.

Board footera