You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-7-2019 22:11:47  #1

Restored Remington 5 Portable (before/ after pics in post)

Recently picked up a Remington Model 5 Portable in OK condition. It mostly worked with a new ribbon but keys stuck, pretty dirty, and some dried up rubber. I started by brushing out loose debris with a paint brush followed by compressed air and lacquer thinner. Next, I used a brash brush on any of the really corroded metal parts. I followed this by using Meguirar’s Ultimate Compound on the paint to polish it and Mother’s Mag Metal polish on the keys and some of the chrome parts like the carriage return lever. The original draw brand worked but it was so brittle I decided to replace it with some braided fishing line which seems to have worked great. The front rollers on the carriage were so dried they were completely flat and didn’t feed the paper, so I replaced them with automotive heater hose/ vacuum hose which cost 1.50$ for a foot (I only used a few inches). Finally I really don’t have a use for the case, so I replaced the feet on the typewriter with some thick rubber grommets from McMaster Carr which ran me about $10.

http://imgur.com/a/tiwehPE

07-7-2019 01:52:05  #2

Re: Restored Remington 5 Portable (before/ after pics in post)

That's a really nice job !  Quite a difference before and after

07-7-2019 15:51:46  #3

thetypewriterman wrote:

That's a really nice job !  Quite a difference before and after

Thanks! It’s not 100% perfect but I’m happy with how it came out. Final step is that i need to pull out the type basket rest (that felt piece) because I noticed it smells like mildew. Going to spray it with some Concrobium and hopefully that fixes the issue.

22-11-2019 17:55:46  #4

That's such a stylish typewriter, and it looks really good now. Nice work. I've just got my hands on some Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound - hoping it will remove some pale streaks (caused by water or a damaging cleaning product?) on the beige paintwork of a newly acquired Lettera 22.

Board footera