You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2019 22:20:11  #1

Why the Skyriter paint chips?

Why is it that almost all Skyriters have some degree of chipped paint on the left side of the lid? The following are pictures of mine:

https://i.etsystatic.com/10449408/r/il/33143e/1979748649/il_fullxfull.1979748649_1r67.jpg

https://i.etsystatic.com/10449408/r/il/acebd5/1932220316/il_fullxfull.1932220316_4udj.jpg

The pictures are amplified and the chip is barely visible in person, but I wonder how it happens.

"In memory, everything seems to happen to music." - Tennessee Williams

15-7-2019 03:14:33  #2

Re: Why the Skyriter paint chips?

I am pretty sure that it will be the linespace lever scratching the ribbon cover as the machine is put into its carry case.

15-7-2019 16:17:12  #3

Mine has the same scratches. Some will also have scratches across the top of the ribbon cover, which I've always attributed to sloppy use of the line space lever.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-7-2019 22:18:08  #4

Hi PDX

Tom and Uwe are both correct and I'll add a little more information. The Zephyr and 2Y- series Skyriters had the short line space (return) lever and a metal clam shell lid. The 3Y- and 4Y- series Skyriters have the long line space lever and the soft or leatherette zippered case. In order to fit into the carry case, this lever is spring loaded and folds down when closing the case. If the typist is a little clumsy or in a hurry, he or she may tend to push the line space lever down while moving the carriage to the right. In the down position, the line space lever will contact the ribbon cover and eventually damage the paint. Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-7-2019 22:42:56  #5

I appreciate everyone settling my curiosity!

"In memory, everything seems to happen to music." - Tennessee Williams

Board footera