You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-7-2019 05:20:58  #1

Olympia 8 broken drawband

I have bought an Olympia 8 (1948) with a broken drawband but otherwise seems to be in good order (subject to testing once the drawband is repaired). The end of the drawband and hook are missing. I intend to replace the drawband but will need to fabricate a hook. I want the hook to be as close as possible to the original but can't find an image anywhere of what the hook should look like.
Could somebody with an Olympia 8 please provide a photo of the hook and confirm the length of the drawband? I've assumed that it snapped at the connection to the hook but could be wrong!
Many thanks
Ian J

20-7-2019 05:39:03  #2

Re: Olympia 8 broken drawband

P.s. The remaining piece of drawband is 340mm long

21-7-2019 01:53:57  #3

With the vast majority of machines, when the drawband is missing, a replacement will be roughly the same length as the platen.  This rule of thumb allows for the drawband to go at least half a turn around the spring drum with the carriage fully to the right.  Sorry I can't help with a photo/drawing of the missing hook

21-7-2019 04:06:06  #4

Thank you, that's very useful advice, which I will apply to other typewriters in my collection with broken drawbands!
Ian J

Board footera