You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-7-2019 20:02:16  #1

Box of Elements

There was a box of elements being offered online for $57 shipped. It arrived today and to my surprise there must be 200 elements in it!Excuse my poor description, but the silver ones appear to be metal over plastic and the black ones appear to be plastic. How can one determine to what typewriter each belongs?

My hope is that there are some Correct-O-Ball elements and most of the rest will be sold cheap.

"In memory, everything seems to happen to music." - Tennessee Williams

26-7-2019 10:40:59  #2

Re: Box of Elements

I would assume that the elements are for an IBM Selectric. If they are then each element should have a pitch marking and the name of the typeface on the top. The simple way to differentiate their application is that elements with white markings are for a Selectric I and II, and yellow is for the Selectric III. 

Brother elements have similar markings, but the shape of the locking latch is completely different and it's much larger. Olivetti elements also have a larger latch but smaller than those of Brother's.

I borrowed this image that shows the difference between them (from left to right: Olivetti, Brother and Selectric):

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-7-2019 10:53:40  #3

Uwe wrote:

I would assume that the elements are for an IBM Selectric. If they are then each element should have a pitch marking and the name of the typeface on the top. The simple way to differentiate their application is that elements with white markings are for a Selectric I and II, and yellow is for the Selectric III. 

Brother elements have similar markings, but the shape of the locking latch is completely different and it's much larger. Olivetti elements also have a larger latch but smaller than those of Brother's.

I borrowed this image that shows the difference between them (from left to right: Olivetti, Brother and Selectric):

The totals are 281 elements and 30 daisy wheels. The majority seem to be Selectric I and II, but there are Selectric III too. Additionally, some Brother and Olivetti have been identified, along with others which haven't been identified.

29-7-2019 11:16:53  #4

I'm sure that we'd be able to help with the unidentified if you post a few photos. I'm also sure that once you have them all sorted out there'd be a few interested buyers of the ones you don't want. Are they all new - or used?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-7-2019 11:29:18  #5

Uwe wrote:

I'm sure that we'd be able to help with the unidentified if you post a few photos. I'm also sure that once you have them all sorted out there'd be a few interested buyers of the ones you don't want. Are they all new - or used?

I appreciate it and will certainly seek assistance in identifying some of them. They're a mixed bag of new and like new, down to a few that won't be sold because they appear to be in bad shape.

Board footera