You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-7-2019 16:06:02  #1

Royal 10 with a broken slug

It was too good to last. Every machine I have bought has been good, or in one case needed a linkage fixed but this time I bought a Royal 10, double window early version. I have not found the serial number yet. The trouble is that the 'e' slug top has broken off. I have the part but I don't have a clue if it is possible to repair this, or have it repaired. Should I start looking for a donor machine? 

07-8-2019 18:35:20  #2

Re: Royal 10 with a broken slug

I can't see your pictures on my iPad but you might be able to have it brazed. Some folks have had luck repairing cracked frames with plumbers epoxy. I doubt it would work for your repair but it's cheap to try. Some people have also had some luck with JB Weld. Remember that any of these would require good prep work (really cleaning the joint). If none of those work there is a Facebook group specifically for people looking for parts for typewriters.

Good luck,

Steve

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

08-8-2019 10:57:10  #3

Thanks Steve, I've got  the Royal in to a repair shop just now; they will try some sort of glue. If it doesn't work I don't pay. I won't know until September; they are on holiday just now. I can't see my photos either  so I'll try again. I'll take a look at the Facebook page, and I've started looking for a donor machine. 

08-8-2019 11:04:44  #4

08-8-2019 11:18:55  #5

Photobucket - grrr

08-8-2019 18:15:13  #6

Hi 58

Now that I see pictures, it's the type bar or the type arm that's broken and not the actual type slug. Brazing may work, but one would have to unsolder the type slug first as the solder would melt long before the bar got up to brazing temperature. A skilled welder with a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder would be more appropriate though.

However,
in a situation like this, I would be more inclined to find a jewelry repair shop that has a laser welder. Yes it would mean removing the broken type bar from the machine, but at least there would be a good chance of getting it repaired correctly. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

08-8-2019 18:52:07  #7

I concur with skywatcher: a jeweler is your best bet, as they are used to working on tiny and fussy jobs. I had a jeweler fix a Hermes escapement and he charged $10. They might not be willing to try, though, if there's any glues on the area and I would not expect even the mighty JB Weld to hold joint like this; it's cheap to try but it might screw up future efforts. 
Also agree that the slug will have to be resoldered and that might be the most difficult part of the job to get right.
Try it and let us know. It night be that you'll end up using a donor machine.  Good Luck!

09-8-2019 10:49:34  #8

Thank you for the advice; I'll have to wait until September to know how the repair attempt has gone. I suspect they will use JB Weld but I share your doubts. If the attempt fails, and if the material used doesn't prevent future welded repairs then I will try the jeweller option. Failing that I might just have to find myself a donor machine (not exactly a punishment; I might find one in better condition and use this one as a donor....). I'll certainly let you know how it goes, and thank you once again. Pete

Board footera