You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-8-2019 06:26:09  #1

The case of the Royal P

Hello, I have recently acquired a very nice example of the Royal P 1929. My son who lives in The Netherlands has just delivered it. I need to separate the machine from the case baseboard. I imagine it should be very simple, maybe slide the machine forward(?) but it doesn’t happen easily and I am unwilling to use force, perhaps the rubber feet are stuck to the board. I can see that the attachment happens halfway along the side but don’t know if it needs to be released.
I should be very glad of any helpful advice from someone who knows this machine. Thanks in advance.

09-8-2019 12:52:41  #2

Re: The case of the Royal P

Hi Woodman
I've just refurbished the case of a 1928 Model P so have recent experience of this. I'm wondering if yours has been modified in some way, as the the base is attached to the feet of the machine by four screws which ordinary would be clearly visible, from underneath the base. The screws are set into rubber feet, which tend to deteriorate, which makes me think that yours have been replaced or covered by something, which is now hiding the large screws?
I replaced the casing feet on mine with inexpensive blanking plugs from a DIY store (from the plumbing section). They needed trimming to fit the recess in the wooden base and obviously holes for the screws to go through. They already had a raised lip on the outer edge so the screw head was thus recessed, when screwed in.
It's possible of course that the design changed from 1928 to 1929...!
Hope this helps!
Ian J

09-8-2019 14:51:21  #3

Hi Ian J, thanks very much for your prompt reply and the information from your recent experience. I am sure what you suggest will solve my problem. Would you believe I hadn’t looked underneath the baseboard? My typewriter workshop is three floors up. I will take a proper look tomorrow. Thanks again.
My case also needs restoration but the machine itself is in very good condition and is unusually clean. The fabric of the case is very worn at the edges but I would like to keep it as original as possible, just tidy it up a bit. Woodman.

09-8-2019 16:48:36  #4

I found that PVA glue worked well for sealing trailing edges of loose fabric back onto the case. Unfortunately my case had lost the lower part of the back panel of the case lid, along with the metal lugs that secure it to the metal hoops attached to the base. I managed to fabricate some new lugs and added a replacement piece of wood to the back panel. The leather handle is also a weak point. The handle on my case had worn through at one end but the remainder allowed me to make a pattern for a new hand stitched replacement (formed from a thrift/charity shop leather belt).
I hope you enjoy your Model P - some have commented on its slightly 'agricultural' feel and others on its ability to punch holes in the ribbon. Accordingly, I've found that it needs a 'measured' strike of the key to get the best out of it. My Model P is in burgundy 'alligator skin' finish, with three replacement keys featuring scientific notations (I'm still trying to fathom out what these are...!)
Ian J

10-8-2019 03:00:42  #5

You sound to me like a kindred spirit and your approach to the case is very much the same as mine will be. Great that you fabricated a ‘new’ leather handle from a belt. I am over 80 and living in France, but still get a lot of satisfaction from creating things in this way. I find that black shoe polish gives a good result after the PVA. Used this on my Underwood 3 bank case, came up well. My P is black gloss enamel and has the88 prefix. I found it on the Dutch equivalent of eBay, Marktplaats and my son did the negotiating. I find that typewriters have an endless fascination, the temptation is to collect too many. I am not a touch typist more hunt and peck so ‘agricultural’ suits me fine. Cheers. Woodman

10-8-2019 04:02:57  #6

Yes, I forgot to mention my use of shoe polish...! I like the reference to 'hunt and peck' - I'm also not a touch typist and having recently retired from fairly regular use of a computer keyboard, so am still adapting to the different technique needed for manuals. I think I have about 17 typewriters, collected over the last four months or so - it's very addictive...
Happy hunting!
Ian

Board footera