You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-8-2019 14:26:46  #1

Rare SG?

I was just wondering, how rare is this SG?
The keyboard seems scientific and it has a fairly wide carriage.

29-8-2019 15:17:05  #2

Re: Rare SG?

You won't find many of those. There's nothing special about the model itself with its decimal tabulator, lack of a paper injector, and wide carriage. What makes it a less frequent find is the special order typeset. I'm sure Olympia sold a large number of these back in the day, but there are few of them that turn up for resale.

What I'm most curious about is its serial number. Looking at the machine, my guess would be that it's lower than 27,000.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-8-2019 15:30:13  #3

Thanks Uwe. I don't know the serial number, I just saw this one for sale...

30-8-2019 09:53:34  #4

If it's reasonably priced, I would jump on that SG! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-8-2019 13:36:06  #5

The price is not the problem, but the travel distance and time to pick it up. And the space the behemoth requires.

Last week I stumbled upon an ~1970's SG3 for just € 10. It was love at first sight. After the first few keystrokes I knew it, this is the typewriter that sets the standard. 

It was missing the paper support, so I bought an ~1965 SG3 with paper support for € 15 online. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Worst case scenario I have a paper support, best case scenario I have a nicer machine.

To do: sign up for your club

30-8-2019 15:34:51  #6

It is a marvelous machine, and because it's a standard they often sell for far less than portables, especially the trendy ones that some people pay a premium for. There are a few features that make the SG1 a better choice, but I'd still be pretty happy if a SG3 was my only option.

31-8-2019 08:56:45  #7

What features makes the SG 1 a better choice? I would love to hear form you – out of curiosity but also to make better buying decisions in the feature. Thanks a lot.

31-8-2019 10:31:55  #8

Off the top of my head:
Practical = four position ribbon control (SG3 only has three)
Comfort = spring loaded keytops (SG3 are rigid, like the vast majority of typewriters)
Aesthetics = subjective, but I prefer the more bulbous design of the '50s model, much as I prefer the look of a SM3 versus the SM9 (even though the SM9 is excellent to type with)
Laziness = external carriage release levers (they moved them under the case with the SG3)

31-8-2019 15:49:12  #9

Thanks, good to know, especially the spring loaded keytops sounds great.

Board footera