You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2019 11:31:54  #1

Silver Reed 500 review

Just turned myself inside out, on whether to buy a Silver Reed 500 and ultimately didn't buy it, mostly because I couldn't find a review anywhere at all on this model. The smaller Silver Reed models are adequately covered by reviews but not the 500. Having searched this forum, I've found a few topics on repairs. The machine has been relisted for sale and it's fairly local, so I have another chance. Any views anybody?
Many thanks

14-9-2019 18:13:12  #2

Re: Silver Reed 500 review

If it's inexpensive, I think you'll find to be a good value. Originally a Japanese marque, I think by that point Silver Reeds were Korean made, but still good enough to be sold as private label machines and used by respected manufacturers like Triumph-Adler/Royal.

I have a Triumph-Adler Junior De Luxe that's essentially a 500 and can't recall off the top of my head having any complaints with it - factoring in, of course, the era it was produced during and its competition at the time.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-9-2019 23:58:10  #3

Thanks, Uwe. The asking price has just dropped below £20 (about the same as US $ nowadays - not sure about Can $ ??) so yes, inexpensive, and seems to be in 'as new' condition. It still has the protective plastic sleeve over the return arm. The casing is a fairly attractive green plastic. The older, smaller and metal cased Silver Reeds tend to go for more on eBay, with competitive bidding. It's within travelling distance for collection, so will have a bid for it, particularly given its condition.

15-9-2019 00:24:34  #4

...and then another comes along! A new listing on eBay just now of an identical 500, but with more comprehensive photographs, along with a 'Made in Japan' plate on the casing, so looks like they were still being made in Japan at this point. Also at £20 and virtually unused condition. Was this a typewriter model that was bought and put straight in a cupboard? Most of the portables I buy seem to have been liberally sprayed with TippEx (Wite-Out)...and then put in the cupboard, virtually unused.

15-9-2019 10:55:55  #5

Around thirty dollars (CAD) would be a no-brainer as far as my shopping history is concerned. Mind you, I only paid $15 (£9) for the aforementioned Triumph, but I don't recall it being in near-new condition (it's been over four years). This discussion has made me curious about that machine and I'll have to try and find it to reacquaint myself with its qualities.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera