You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-9-2019 16:14:15  #1

Why are desktop typewriters so much larger than portable typewriters.

I'm intrigued by how much larger desktop typewriters are than their portable counterparts. Why are they so much larger? Do they type differently or have more functions. I love my portables and can't see what added benefits the desktops have.
Take this 1954 desktop for an example, it's huge:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/d/huntington-beach-1954-royal-hh/6979985833.html

Then look at this portable of almost the exact same year, it's so much smaller:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/clt/d/downey-refurbished-1953-royalquiet-de/6978769135.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

19-9-2019 17:34:18  #2

Re: Why are desktop typewriters so much larger than portable typewriters.

Standard typewriters are professional machines, designed and built for the rigours of an office where it was most likely used all day, every day. The extra size and weight are byproducts of a standard's robustness, and the extra room needed to provide better key leverage.

Portables are convenience machines made small for the sake of portability, and were chiefly designed for less demanding typing assignments. Some will claim there's no difference between portables and standards, but those are typewriter owners who seldom type more than a page at a time.  

If I could only own one typewriter there's no question it would be a standard. I much prefer them over portables, but they are far most cumbersome to store.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2019 18:03:26  #3

Totally makes sense, thanks for the reply!

---------------------------------------------------------------
1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

20-9-2019 03:06:55  #4

Standard machines offer a different typing experience.
A bit like typing on a portable after using on an ultra-portable. 
For me, standard machines redefined the way I look at portables.

Joe van Cleave has a nice VOD about his SG 3.
He is not only talking about the machine and its features, but also the whole experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ywRAayfSU

20-9-2019 06:10:35  #5

I completely agree with you Uwe; if I had the space I would have more standard machines. I regret not buying an SG3 from a recycling place early this year - it had a broad carriage which put me off, but the feel of typing on it was great! I still love my portables but I too look at them differently now. Looking forward to getting my Royal 10 back; that one types like a dream. 

Thanks for posting the video Laurenz; good to see it.

Board footera