You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-9-2019 12:38:39  #11

Re: underwood number 5 restoration

there is indeed thread on the insides - i noticed two screws on the back that looks like they must be intersecting as there's no other parts in that position - i will have a play and see what happens

21-9-2019 06:51:17  #12

anyone have any idea how to remove that kind of internal thread, headless screw thing? I have pulled rear retaining screws from the back but do you need some special tool to get the bolt out? it only protrudes a tiny bit so i cant even get a pair of pliars around it

21-9-2019 11:23:05  #13

I'm just guessing here, as I have not yet tried it on my Underwood, but usually you are able to unscrew the rod inwards (towards the centre of the machine) on this kind of fixing. I made the assumption that the grub screws through the rod, once removed, would allow the length of the rod to be reduced (wider sleeves of the section holding the grub screws passing over a narrower central section of rod). This is my assumption, as removal of the inserts with the inner threads, set into the frame, would not seem possible, as you point out. For the purpose of getting some movement on this, WD40 would be permissible!
I'm a bit snowed under with fabulous new stock at the moment but will have a look at mine if I get a chance later this week (assuming of course that we are talking about the same part of the Underwood!)
Good luck
Ian J

24-9-2019 16:19:52  #14

so there are sprints at each end - looks like the idea is that the bar rotates backwards and the springs pull in shortening it enough to remove (not sure if that was what you meant).

Unfortunately it looks like im going to have to  undo and remove almost everything else first in order to clear the way

10-10-2019 05:55:05  #15

I personally think you are heading the wrong way: taking apart a rusty machine to achieve a smoother movement of the keys it is not a good idea, specially when you don't know what are you doing. WD40, whale blubber, pig fat, olive oil or vaseline in the key mechanism and segment will do wonders and make it smooth for a while, you don't need to take apart anything. If anybody thinks that "will ruin the typewriter" weeeeell, to fiddle with screws, springs, take apart stuff with no experience, can also ruin the machine, permanently. In the case that a rusty machine should be cleaned for a smoother typing action all the typebars, the springs, the links, the segment... would need to be taken apart and all rust removed, maybe bent parts straighten, maybe new springs installed... I don't think you can do that, and I don't think you need to do it either, since you don't need a totally functioning machine. Then why on earth you want to take apart the machine?? you are clearing the way to what? me no understand.  

Board footera