You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-9-2019 21:25:30  #1

Olivetti power cord

I have a Studio 52 that is missing its power cord. If anyone can help, please let me know.

28-9-2019 04:14:01  #2

Re: Olivetti power cord

If you are unable to get a power cord for your machine, as a last resort it may be possible to 'hard wire' it with a permanent lead.  At least you will then be able to use it !

28-9-2019 08:55:17  #3

My electronics skills aren’t up to that.  I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

28-9-2019 12:59:06  #4

Hi Leecreighton

Did a Google search for Olivetti Studio 52 and came up with nothing. What does the socket look like? Is it like the socket on the back of a computer, an electric shaver, a portable stereo (Brixton Suitcase or Ghetto Blaster), an electric kettle or any other type of electrical appliance? What is the input voltage, AC 220/110, or DC with a power transformer built into of the power cable?

A couple of ideas to try would be to take a picture of the socket on the typewriter with smartphone or camera and head down to your local electronics store to see if they have anything that might fit. The other idea would be to link a picture to the forum and see if anyone on here has any ideas.

If all else fails, take the machine to your favourite electrical/electronics repair shop and ask if they can hardwire a power cable in as Tom the typewriter man suggests. Hope this gives you something to work with,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-9-2019 18:03:28  #5

leecreighton wrote:

My electronics skills aren’t up to that. I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

There are no electronics involved in this, just electricity (much simpler and more deadly).
Give us a clear pic of the connector. Often we can recognize something. Also check your local junk stores because they sometimes have a basket of orphaned power cords (not antique stores, they don't do this). Or you might buy a cheap appliance just to get a cord that fits. Good luck.

05-10-2019 12:28:58  #6

You can see a picture of the cord interface here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blnhraxsvea7edl/IMG_1272.JPG?dl=0

I’ve seen this cord on adding machines as well as typewriters.

05-10-2019 17:35:21  #7

leecreighton wrote:

You can see a picture of the cord interface here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/blnhraxsvea7edl/IMG_1272.JPG?dl=0
I’ve seen this cord on adding machines as well as typewriters.

Seems to be the same as an Olivetti Lettera 36 and probably some other Olivettis. Check here https://typewriterdatabase.com/198x-olivetti-lettera-36.12873.typewriter and scroll to the end for pics of the cord and connector. Clever design.

05-10-2019 17:55:21  #8

I wonder if it would be the same cord as...well, I’ve forgotten the name. The Praxis, maybe? I remember the green keytops projecting from a white base.

05-10-2019 20:32:49  #9

leecreighton wrote:

I wonder if it would be the same cord as...well, I’ve forgotten the name. The Praxis, maybe? I remember the green keytops projecting from a white base.

There is more than one model named Praxis and I would not rely on them all having the same power cord. The one you are thinking of is probably the famous Praxis 48, though I have only ever seen it in grey. I expect that one uses the same power cord as yours, but check it. 

20-10-2021 19:41:31  #10

I have managed to find a seller for a power cable for my olivetti praxis 48 typewriter.  I've had it for a couple of years now. Would be nice to finally get it working. 
The seller's name is Jay Respler. You'll have to email him to place an order - JRespler@superlink.net. I had to wait a few days to get a reply. 

Board footera