You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-10-2019 13:34:53  #1

Forum font face

Hi everyone,

it just occured to me that for a forum dedicated to typewriters, a monospace (nonproportional) font could be more appropriate than the current sans-serif one. This is how it'd look like:

(This was done using Firefox' developer tools)

Thoughts on that? Is it even possible to change this?

05-10-2019 17:01:51  #2

Re: Forum font face

Looks great! 

Alas there isn't an option to use such a typeface, if there was I would certainly use your suggestion. The pitfalls of using a free forum is not having many choices in its design or function. If there was a way to generate enough money to pay for dedicated hosting you can believe that this forum would look very different!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-10-2019 02:50:25  #3

"Uwe" wrote:

Alas there isn't an option to use such a typeface, if there was I would certainly use your suggestion. The pitfalls of using a free forum is not having many choices in its design or function. If there was a way to generate enough money to pay for dedicated hosting you can believe that this forum would look very different!

Ah, too bad. I can't make any promises, but at some point I might be willing to host the forum on my own infrastructure as I run a server for personal use anyway. I've hosted other forums before, so it's not something entirely new for me. Back then I never was content with the available forum software, though, so I ended up with writing my one one. It was however quite buggy, and since then I discovered better options, so I abandoned the project. Meanwhile however I've retracted from any forum hosting, because I'm currently in a very demanding phase in life that does not allow me to properly maintain an online forum, regardless of what software it runs.

When this phase is over, we can discuss that topic again. The details to consider are however not only technical (software), but also legal; while I'm a big advocate of self-hosting, it also comes with the responsibility over your users' data. As a EU citizen, I undergo the famous EU data protection law (GDPR), so before I host any software for anybody else than myself I'm going to consider twice, especially if non-EU citizens are involved.

06-10-2019 11:25:31  #4

I've run forums for companies that I worked for in the past, and it's all quite manageable when the number of members are modest - such as this forum. However, I've also worked for a massive forum that had over 400,000 members, and that's when things are extremely complicated; the bigger the profile the more of a target it becomes for those scumbags who just want to destroy things (hackers).

The company hosting this forum has options to upgrade the service, which really would be the easiest solution. It wouldn't cost a lot to be able to provide local photo hosting and have better forum customization, but without any revenue stream it's not an option for me personally.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera