You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-11-2018 19:28:20  #1

Micro-welding

Another shipping tragedy -- I should have learned my lesson about buying inexpensive standards which leave the seller little motivation and funds to pack properly. A very nice looking LC Smith Secretarial, virtually new inside, took a hard whack on the carriage and stripped some teeth off the gear on the shaft of the escapement which engages the rack. It occurred to me to build them up again and file them into shape and I learned that tiny, tiny welding machines exist and found some video of something being done with a very fine wire ... which looks just like the right technique. Another possibility would be brazing but this seems a poor second choice since it might heat up too much metal to be done in situ, and leave a blob of metal which would take significantly more work to shape.

Any experience with this kind of gear repair? I cannot accept the DOA verdict -- it's worth a try.

13-10-2019 23:47:59  #2

Re: Micro-welding

No experience personally or with a gear but I read an article that they use this process to repair cracked slides on expensive/rare pistols. I would think that would be a more stressful movement than a typewriter. Here's the article. (mods, please delete if not appropriate). https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/micro-welding/

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

16-10-2019 15:53:29  #3

Re: Micro-welding

You could try silver solder. Might not work but it's worth a try.
Silver soldered replacement part for a Hermes Rocket ribbon rewind by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

Board footera