You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-10-2019 21:27:46  #1

Low letter

How do you fix one letter that prints lower than the rest?

01-11-2019 00:11:52  #2

Re: Low letter

Hi Gaust

From what I understand, this is one of these problems that can not be properly corrected by the average person. It sounds to me like the type slug needs to be reset on the type bar. This job can only be properly done with a type soldering guide and the knowledge of how to correctly use it.

I had a 1948-49 Invicta MP-1 with the same issue, the letter A had evidently been re-soldered at some time in the machine's history and typed lower than the other letters. I wasn't going to try to re-solder it myself, as I knew I would just make a mess of it. Therefore, I so sold the machine as it was to a collector on Etsy. Hope this gives you something to work with. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-11-2019 00:31:52  #3

If it is not off to a degree that requires resoldering, then it can be done through either peening/mauling or forming. This would require specialty tools, and depending where the character sits on the segment, may require addition alignment adjustments to compensate for the angle of the typebar and the effects of the new adjustments; outer characters like 'Q' and 'W' are a real pain to correct--at least for me. Whether you peen with peening pliers or form with roll-benders would depend on the angle of the typebar, if other alignment issues are present, the ring and cylinder setting, and personal preference.

To raise by peening, you would peen the front portion of the typebar just below the point that passes through the typeguide, making sure not to go to the very edge. To raise by forming, you would bend the typebar back with roll-bending pliers. The latter will effect the ring and cylindar setting, also, so it is not always the correct choice. These adjustments should be done very carefully, because a little bit can go a long way, and much of this--especially peening--is destructive editing. Before doing either method, check that there are no other issues, that the typeslug is not loose, and the type is not off by so much that resoldering is required. For more information on alignment procedures, I believe the topic is covered towards the end of some of the Ames Manuals. I would not recommend doing this without the proper tools, and I would practice on a junk machine first.

06-11-2019 21:45:30  #4

Thanks for the responses. It seems re-soldering to correct the slug is the answer. Bending type arms is beyond my expertise even though I have the tool to do it. Either I live with it or sell the machine.

Board footera