You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-11-2019 15:30:18  #11

Re: Soundproofing my typewriter

I think soundproofing a typewriter with felt or other means is the most complex way of reducing sound, with the least impact.

The easiest and cheapest method is some form of typing pad. I use a real one, designed for this purpose (it came with I typewrtier I purchased). It works really well. I also make 'typing pads' from a synthetic exercise pad. A thick tablecloth will do wonders too

The slightly more complex and certainly more expensive method is recovring the platen.

Both methods address different aspects of the typing sound. For best results both methods should be combined.

06-11-2019 21:56:28  #12

Hi Laurenz

It hadn't occurred to me that you were not using a mat or pad of some description. The most cost effective typewriter pads I've found, are the home made ones cut from a yoga (exercise) mat. Last year I started selling cleaned and serviced typewriters on Etsy and wanted to supply a basic typist's kit with each unit. As I wanted to include a typewriter pad with the kit, I picked up a low cost yoga mat from Walmart for less than $20.00 Canadian.

From one mat, I cut ten 12" x 13" (30.5cm x 33cm) pads and rounded off the corners using a 2" (5cm) ribbon spool as a template. Although these pads are only ¼" (6.4mm) thick, they keep the typewriter in place and really deaden the metallic sound of the typewriter. Hope this gives you a little more to work with,
Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-1-2020 11:21:33  #13

I got some 5 mm felt and used it to cover the bottom plate of a Traveller De Luxe.
It doesn't really reduce the sound, it alters it by reducing the higher tones.

I've recorded the difference.
First you hear the 'soundproofed' Traveller De Luxe, then another Traveller De Luxe.
Off course both typewriters don't have exactly the same sound, but this little test give's an idea of the effect of using felt.

https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/public/olympia-traveller-soundproofing.m4a

06-1-2020 11:27:16  #14

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Off course both typewriters don't have exactly the same sound, but this little test give's an idea of the effect of using felt.

Sorry, I messed up and posted a rough draft of my message. Especially the above part wasn't what I intended.
It should be something like this:

This isn't the best way of testing the difference, but it gives a good impression.

Board footera