You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2020 21:11:36  #1

Brother 3010 Correction Tape

Greetings All

Does anyone know how many errors a Brother # 3010 correction tape will correct on a Brother GX-6000 Daisy Wheel typewriter? My reason for asking is I inherited a whole whack of # 1230i ribbon cassettes and # 3010 correction tapes from my father-in-law's estate. Therefore, I was thinking of putting some of them up for sale on eBay and was wondering if a twin pack of correction tapes be adequate for a 4 pack of ribbon cassettes?

Each cassette contains 525 feet of ribbon and each correction tape holds 256 inches of tape. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-1-2020 22:16:24  #2

Re: Brother 3010 Correction Tape

That's a super-interesting question. Mathematical calculations aside, doesn't it ultimately depend on how many typos you make on average? I'm sure for some typists one correction tape would last for multiple 4-packs of ribbon, while of course others would require an entire correction tape just to make it through one ribbon cassette. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2020 23:46:36  #3

Hi Uwe

Good answer. My father-in-law was a clerical secretary with the Royal Canadian Air Force stationed in Churchill, Manitoba, then with the North West Territories Government stationed in Yellow Knife NWT. As typing was his lifelong career, he continued typing after he retired, writing one book and several thesis on different subjects and of course, lots and lots of letters. He literally wore out one Brother GX-6000 typewriter and bought a replacement a few years ago.

Not long after that, he was moved into a nursing home and passed away a little under 2 years ago. I inherited his Brother GX-6000 and plan use the machine from time to time, but don't think I need 60 ribbon cartridges and almost as many correction tapes. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

20-1-2020 11:43:40  #4

When I think about the inevitable choices I'll have to make one day in order to cull my collection to around ten machines, I know that I won't be keeping the most desirable, expensive, or uncommon models. What I treasure above that are the ones that have the best stories (or provenance).

The Brother you described would fall into that category. On its own I wouldn't cough up ten bucks for one in a thrift shop, but with the history you described it would be a keeper.

Were it me, I'd keep all the ribbons and tapes. You might not use them all, but the next owner, someone who will undoubtedly inherit its story as well, should also be equipped with as much ammunition as possible to keep that Brother in business.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera