You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2020 13:38:53  #1711

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Goodwill hunting over the weekend yielded an Olivetti Studio 46 (made in Spain; metal shell so later 70s (?)). Saw a case that could almost have held a power saw or drill set -- plastic and square -- but upon inspection I found the typewriter, in really nice condition, with the instructions, unfilled out warranty card and vinyl cover, which seems to have never been used. Same can be said for the typewriter itself. $45, which was more than I had on hand in cash, and maybe a little more than I wanted to pay, but its condition and accessories convinced me. Came back the next day, fingers crossed that it was still there. I was kicking myself for a couple of seconds when I didn't see it immediately, it was still there. Went to the register and was really stoked when it rung up as "bric-a-brac" for $22.50 -- so I could have bought it when I first saw it!

Ribbon is pretty dry but everything else seems very smooth, tight and new. Looking forward to getting more acquainted with it.

03-2-2020 14:18:50  #1712

Followup to the above -- where is the serial number? Nothing under the carriage, or under the ribbon cover, or on the bottom. Looking at the Typewriter Database gallery for the Studio 46 it seems as though sometimes there were no serial numbers for the Barcelona-built machines. But where should I be looking for it? (And in any case, why wouldn't there be a serial number?)

04-2-2020 04:03:50  #1713

The serial number on the Studio 45 is stamped into the right hand side of the machine's frame, facing the outside.  I'm pretty sure that it would be the same for the Studio 46.

04-2-2020 10:30:28  #1714

So I'd have to take the shell off to find it?

04-2-2020 13:59:13  #1715

No, you don't have to remove the shell---that would defeat a major purpose of having serial numbers, quick identification, like in an office or police evidence locker. If they exist, they'll be visible straightaway or behind a normally movable part. My note for my Studio 45 says, "on =12pxframe behind right spool". Might be similar on a 46. I agree, I don't get why manufacturers hide them so well, but they never require dismantling.p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana}

04-2-2020 16:14:41  #1716

Thanks -- I'll check there. Thought I did look around inside, but maybe not thoroughly enough.

05-2-2020 10:12:38  #1717

Nope, no serial number that I can see. Maybe it's blocked behind the shell, but as noted above, that wouldn't make sense.

05-2-2020 11:20:01  #1718

I found this a couple days ago. After installing a new ribbon, it works great!

05-2-2020 12:48:04  #1719

Fleetwing wrote:

Nope, no serial number that I can see. Maybe it's blocked behind the shell, but as noted above, that wouldn't make sense.

Given your experience, if you can't find one it's possible that there isn't one. I've read reports from a number of collectors who couldn't find a serial number on their Studio 46 either. I'm sure there's an explanation for this. Could it be that Olivetti used serial number stickers like can be found on some Japanese machines for some of the Studio 46 production run? Could those stickers - if that was the case - have been removed or fallen off over the years? Could the fact it was made in Spain have any bearing on all of this?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2020 12:48:54  #1720

rdnzl wrote:

I found this a couple days ago. After installing a new ribbon, it works great!

Very clean! Or was that your sweat equity?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera