You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2020 12:25:11  #1

Skipping?

In general, what would make a typewriter "skip".  As in when you are typing, it will advance two spaces instead of one. I have seen a few local ads where people say "it skips" but if you slow down typing it won't skip".

Is there something that generally causes this that can be easily remedied? Or is this problem too model specific to be able to provide an answer?  Or is is usually just dirt and grime that causes it?

thanks

07-2-2020 12:50:17  #2

Re: Skipping?

Hi RD

This post may get moved to the maintenance and repair section, but here's my thinking. In todays world of computers, we then to type in flurries. We think for a while, then rattle off a whole bunch of letters on our keyboard before pausing for the next thought. Being a purely mechanical device, typewriters don't like this sort of sporadic input, they prefer a steady rhythmical even pressured input of 4 to 8 strokes per second.

What also happens is the oil in the escapement mechanism starts to dry out after many years of not being used, so the reaction time or cycle time of the escapement itself tends to slow down. The same as a poorly oiled escapement of a wind-up clock will cause the clock to lose time, or of you are a target shooter, a semi-automatic rifle or pistol will have a slower lock cycle time if all the parts are not properly cleaned and lubricated.

General dust, dirt and eraser crumbs building up around the escapement mechanism can also have a detrimental effect on the cycle time of the escapement. Hope this gives you some thoughts with which to work,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

07-2-2020 13:52:50  #3

Re: Skipping?

Hi Again

Just checked with my wife who used to make her living by typing, she says that ideal typing speed on a newer (1950's to 1980's) manual typewriter is around 4 to 6 keystrokes per second, or 48 to 75 wpm (using 5 letter words as the standard). I'm happy if I can operate around 30 to 45 wpm on my manual units, but I run my 1936 Imperial Good Companion a little slower, around 24 wpm.  All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera