You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2020 13:13:13  #1

Help with Olivetti Studio 44

It's a tad misaligned. I looked for screws to align the upper- and lowercase letters and tried several but nothing changed. Any suggestions? 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

11-2-2020 17:48:45  #2

Re: Help with Olivetti Studio 44

Suggestions? What screws did you "look for" and what did you "try" with them? How do we (you) know if those were the correct screws and the correct actions or not? We need to be more clear here. 

Later tonight I'll look at a Olivetti-Underwood 21 to see what I can find and somebody else will probably beat me to it.

11-2-2020 17:56:15  #3

There are two sets of screws under the carriage: one set in the middle and another on the top sides. I loosened and tightened both without results. I will try the nuts on the back next.

12-2-2020 12:04:27  #4

I don't have a Studio 44 anymore, and the one I had didn't require any alignment (this is the "motion" adjustment you're describing -- getting upper- and lower case letters level on the typing line). But -- and I hope this doesn't sound obnoxious -- are you sure those screws are the right ones? I would look for screws that come into contact with some sort of surface that limits the motion of the segment in the shifted and nonshifted positions. Do those screws you're adjusting seem to control those limit settings? Again, I don't have this machine to inspect, but I would look for adjusting screws on the underside of the machine, rather than on the carriage.

12-2-2020 12:52:53  #5

Fleetwing, thanks for the advice: I will look for more. So far, I've tried every nut and screw I could find to no avail. Obviously I'm missing something, so I will look for more. Thanks again.

Board footera