You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-2-2020 12:03:45  #1

Blue Bird / Torpedo 20

Hello all,
This week a Blue Bird/Torpedo 20 turned up in the post with visible damages to its case. Upon opening the case and simply touching the carriage, it flew to the left and off of its rails. Luckily there was no denting to the body of the typewriter, which is in very good condition. However, I am stumped as to how to put the carriage back on, as there is a barrier mount near the carriage rails that prevents the carriage from advancing onto the rails more than a few inches. The screws for this carriage mount are buried deep in the machine, and I have not been able to get any purchase on them with a screw driver. So far I have considered disassembling the right end of the carriage to remove the part with the metal tab that bangs against the barrier mount. I have shown this in the linked YouTube video.

If you have any experience with this machine or any helpful suggestions to pass on, I would be very grateful.

14-2-2020 13:56:29  #2

Re: Blue Bird / Torpedo 20

SOLVED - I figured it out - with the carriage off, I had to unscrew the back carriage rail and slide it out to the side of the machine, put the carriage on, hold the carriage against the front rail, then slide the back rail back onto the machine, lining it up with the back ball bearings held in their truck. Then it was just a questions of sliding the carriage back and forth and adjusting the distance of the back carriage rail from the front.

Board footera