You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-2-2020 13:08:22  #11

Re: Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe, Classic 12 or Royal Sabre?

M. Höhne wrote:

Ugh. Now I have to apologize for the huge solid block of text because we cannot edit these posts. I know the situation...

It's a definite pain, sorry. Just to ease that a little I formatted the post for you.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-2-2020 13:39:20  #12

Hi Uwe.
Good advice.
I go to Aberfoyle regularily in the summer.
I have never looked for typewriters before. I will do so this season. It would be fun to 'hunt' together.
I have a line on a Classic 12, which I really like because of it's design and the colours. It's $65. has been listed for over a month and is working, needing a ribbon, and probably a good cleaning. No case, hope to find one later. Thanks again.
A

23-2-2020 15:50:08  #13

Finding cases on their own is a true rarity. I wouldn't bet on coming across one.

I can see four Classic 12 models on Kijiji right now. Two are under $30. One of them has a "Ukranian" keyboard, so it's probably not for you. The other is $20 in the Oakville area. They claim it isn't working, but the description sounds like it might just have the carriage lock on. If the one you're looking at has been listed for over a month, offer $40 and reference those other two on Kijiji.

The competition at Aberfoyle is stiff. You'll need to get there right when the gates open and hunt very quickly.  There's one extreme collector who does the rounds there every week, but he doesn't get there until 10:30 because he hits a couple of other markets on the way there.

If we happen to meet there I can bring ribbon for you if you still need it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-2-2020 18:45:01  #14

Hi Again Auggie

As Uwe said, Etsy is generally overpriced by most sellers for most things. However, Etsy is where I sell my cleaned and serviced typewriters for what I consider a fair market value. I'll usually include a reprint of a relevant instruction manual for the machine, and if the buyer is a first time typewriter buyer, I'll also include a basic typist's kit to get him or her started on the right foot.

I could sell you a serviced and cleaned good used unit, but shipping from here to there would be $50.00. Therefore, I feel you would do better for the time being to keep your eye out and an ear to the ground to see what comes up locally. If you do find a reasonable machine, many of the members on this forum do their own servicing and repairs, so would be more than happy to guide you through doing your own cleaning, servicing and minor repairs.

When it comes to ribbons, most machines take the standard ½" ribbon. If the spools are missing, this can be a problem if you have a Y series Smith-Corona (Zephyr, Skyriter, Corsair, Cougar, Calypso or Super-G) as these take a specific Series-3 ribbon spool. The Smith-Corona Desktop models (Secretarial, Eighty-Eight and Super-Speed) take another design of spool, but everything else in the Smith-Corona line will work quite happily with the standard 2" spool with the 3mm center hole.

If you ever think about buying a portable typewriter that is claimed to be in good working order, request the seller send you a picture of at least half a page of typing so you can see the type face, evenness of imprint, straightness of lines (paper feeding straight), both margin and tab function (if equipped). Please let us know if this helps point you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

23-2-2020 19:46:16  #15

Wow! You guys have been awesome.
I have learned so much already from you on this wonderful forum.
I just received "The Typewriter Revolution" book.
I know that the info in there and with your continuous help I will find a happy road to the perfect typewriter for me.
Thanks again!
A

24-2-2020 01:50:51  #16

Hi Once Again

Here are a few Kijiji ad numbers which may be potential leads, all under $50.00 CAD.

1, 1487686178 Commodore (Consul) portable
2, 1473144688 A smaller Consul travel typewriter
3,  1485155510 Another Consul rebranded to Sears
4,  1482042712 This is the Ukrainian keyed unit of which Uwe spoke
5,  1481488053  This is a re-branded Smith-Corona that has no case.

See if any of these tickle your fancy, (copy and paste the numbers into Kijiji search)

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

24-2-2020 08:49:09  #17

[list=none]
[*]Prices are in the range that you have been talking about.
[*] Thanks for the leads Sky 
[*]I'm keen on the design and the colours of a portable.
[*]Here are two that I am looking at.
[*] 
[*]1439944386
[*] 
[*]  
[*]1428804848
[*] 
[*] 
[*] 
[*]Prices are in the range that you have been talking about. What is the name of your etsy shop?
[/list]

24-2-2020 16:25:35  #18

Hi Auggie

With respect to forum rules, it is not permissible to advertise any online selling sites in the general discussion portion of this forum. Therefore, I sent you a PM (Private Message) with that information. All the best,

Sky

24-2-2020 17:32:29  #19

skywatcher wrote:

With respect to forum rules, it is not permissible to advertise any online selling sites in the general discussion portion of this forum.

There's no problem with helpful, long-time forum members such as yourself promoting their own sales. The rule was meant to prevent those who join the forum only to advertise themselves from sidetracking regular threads. 

24-2-2020 18:19:44  #20

Sorry.
I did not realize the implications of my comment.
Thanks for setting me straight.
As always, thanks for your help to this newbie.
A

Board footera