You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-2-2020 16:04:09  #1

Another H3K, with lots of extras.

I got this today. A super nice Hermes 3000, with the extra fancy "leather" case, the brushes, a bunch of factory  papers, and the key to the case

It is an amazing typer.  Nice consistent marks, and great key feel. A little snappier than my other 3K.  Extremely nice.

It has a  "metal" plate glued on below the logo, that used to have vendor or repair info on it. The previous owner got some paint matched paint and painted over the name.  I am wondering if I should attempt to remove it?  What would be a good method to try? Or considering how the rest of the typewriter looks (near mint) should I just leave it alone?  I was thinking that I could try some heat from a hair dryer, but I have visions of it going badly and leaving a mess.  What do you think?

26-2-2020 03:20:05  #2

Re: Another H3K, with lots of extras.

Nice. I especially like all the paperwork that come with it.

Concerning the badge: I would leave it, for now. In my opinion this kind of quirks give the machine some 'personality'. If you really hate it, I would wait for an other machine and simply swap the ribbon covers. No risk involved.

Lau

26-2-2020 10:19:06  #3

I have two of them.  I will swap the covers, and put the cover without the badge on this machine, since it is my favorite of the two by just a hair.  But I'd still like to know if I could get the badge off safely. Logic tells me to leave it and not worry about it, but I'm not always logical. 

26-2-2020 10:24:47  #4

I have no experience with removing badges, but I think the hair dryer approach is worth the try.
Mayby you can test it on some other typewriter or device?

26-2-2020 11:18:05  #5

Wow, that is a complete typewriter. By the way, if you are planning to have two Hermes babies too, there is another one with the metal case on top, very sleek. 

26-2-2020 11:41:47  #6

I am planning on two Babies. I have one coming from Holland that was made in 1938 and is mint.  Its been on the slow boat for a week and a half now. Hopefully it will reach land soon.

26-2-2020 16:38:38  #7

About 20 minutes with a hair dryer, going very slowly, I got the badge off.  You can't even tell there ever was one.

27-2-2020 14:05:28  #8

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

27-2-2020 14:41:49  #9

I like badges when they show a vendor or repair shop. The one on my Baby that is from South Africa, it's pretty interesting. It means that my typewriter lived there at some point.  But this one had been painted over because the words had faded and worn off, and was just a worthless badge, or I would have left it alone.

27-2-2020 14:50:23  #10

I agree. I have an Olympia Traveller with US keyboard and a sticker on the bottom plate from Olympia USA in Sommerville. This means the typewriter was build in Germany, shipped to the USA and shipped back to Europe. That's what I call a traveller. Without the sticker the machine wasn't as much as interesting I think...

Board footera