You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-2-2020 09:09:09  #1

Royal Safari: Missing a Screw !

In the final stages of bringing a Royal Safari (actually a Singer T-70 Professional SN 7540158)  back to life.  On the right hand side, by the right cylinder knob is a plastic protective housing. It is held in place by two screws.  One in the back that holds the housing to the paper table. But there is a second securing screw on the end, just below and to the left of the cylinder knob.  It is missing.  Might anyone be able to tell me the size and thread of that screw? And, big ask here, where in Toronto I might find one?

28-2-2020 16:45:16  #2

Re: Royal Safari: Missing a Screw !

Hi Spudman

These machines were made in the USA, so there's no metric in them. From what I can tell by looking at my Royal Custom, this screw appears to be a #2-56 x ¼" and should be available at an electronics supply store or a hobby shop. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-2-2020 18:04:55  #3

Hi Skywatcher. Thanks so much for this!  
best
Spudman

29-2-2020 02:16:14  #4

Hi Again

Correction needed here. I just remembered that I have the actual parts manual for these machines. The screw in question is Royal part number 3300-15490 and the manual says it's a #3-56 screw but does not give the length. When I measured the screw from my Royal Custom it measured darn close to ¼". This size of screw may be a little more difficult to locate, but Amazon has them by the packet of 100, which is about 99 more than you need. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera