You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-2-2020 05:19:44  #1

Open Torpedo 30

Hi together, I just got my first Torpedo 30 and I can't figure out how to remove the bottom of the case and the Lid over the type bars. Does anybody know? I would appreciate any help. 

Here is a picture of the Machine: 
https://imgur.com/a/gOy6PNc

29-2-2020 13:25:17  #2

Re: Open Torpedo 30

Hi Vranx

From what I've found after a few minutes searching on the net, it looks like there are two catches down by the shift keys that hold the front of the ribbon cover in place. I'm figuring you should be able to reach in under the front corners of the keyboard frame and feel a lever on each side. push these levers back and the ribbon cover should release.

As for getting the machine off its base, I'm inclined to think it's held on by 4 rubber grommets that slide over 4 pins, pegs or posts on the base. I would like some clarification from more experienced members on this one before I suggest just pulling the machine off its base. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-2-2020 15:10:55  #3

Hi Sky, thanks a lot. I was just about to post the thing with the two levers. I read about it, too, but didn't understand how to open until just now. I didn't read about the thing with the pegs or pins, however, so thanks again for the hint. Maybe I'll give it a try.

29-2-2020 16:51:34  #4

Hi Again Vranx

I see you have now added your location, this forum sure is an International community. For removing the ribbon cover, I just looked at this picture and figured out the latches. As for how the machine is secured to the base, I figured it may be the same system as my Patria portable. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera