You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-2-2020 10:53:06  #1

Triumph Adler Tessy, Adler Tippa & Erika?

I have been researching some German made portables.
Triumph-Adler Tessy, the Adler Tippa and an Erika. They have the sleek design that I am liking, and come in great colours. All the ones that I have come across are $$$$. Are ribbons for these easy to come by?
Any member have any of these models? Your thoughts and reviews would be appreciated by this typo newbie.
Thanks

29-2-2020 12:53:15  #2

Re: Triumph Adler Tessy, Adler Tippa & Erika?

The Tessy is a more basic version of the Tippa, and in turn there were a number of different Tippa models/generations. Similarly, Erika made a large number of different portable models. I would not pay a lot of money for any of them even though I'm a big fan of the Adler Tippa, TA Tippa 1, and some of the Erika portables. Could you be a little more specific as to which models you're looking at?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-2-2020 13:10:18  #3

I'm looking at these on ebay. I hope it is ok to post this link. If not, I'm very sorry. Still learning the rules.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-ORANGE-1970s-TYPEWRITER-TRIUMPH-ADLER-TESSY-WITH-CASE/174187279336
https://www.ebay.de/itm/383339934699
Thanks Uwe.

29-2-2020 15:51:43  #4

The Tippa is very common overhere (I live in The Netherlands), so I guess they must have been a sales success. I think the machine is clever designed and easy to service. The key action and touch is one of the finest I have experienced so far. Other perks are good ergonomics, which make it an excellent lap-typer, and a low sound profile.

However, Tippa's are extremely delicate typewrites. I have bought six of them, all were used nor serviced for decades. All had problems. I have spent a lot of time working on those typewriters. I have replaced a spring motor, swapped carriages, adjusted carriages, replaced an universal bar, replaced a type arm, replaced type arm linkages, replaces backspace linkages, and worked a lot on the escapements, bells, margins stops  and the spacebar.

The reason for this is that I think the Tippa-design leaves little room for error. All parts seems to be designed to operate in extreme small margins. And because the Tippa is an ultra-portable, parts are pretty thin and light. This makes the parts prone for damage and therefore the machine prone to malfunction

As with a lot of typewriters, over the years little design improvements were implemented, but the quality of the used materials decreased. My older Tippa's (from 1964 and 1965) have a very sensetive escapement that causes a lot of problems. Mainly overprinting characters, an inconsistent left hand margin and an unreliable working backspace key.

These problems were fixed in my later Tippa's (from 1971) with a slightly redesigned escapement. However, due to (I suppose) worse quality metal the key levers do not work always as designed, resulting in unpleasant typing because some keys hit the spacebar support rod.

Based on my experience with old Tippa's bought from old people, I consider the Tippa as a high risk, high reward typewriter. There is a pretty good chance your Tippa has problems. But, if it doesn't have problems or you can fix them, you have a very user friendly, nice typing machine.

Because of the risk involved, I would never buy a Tippa online if it cost more the 30 Euro's, unless it is serviced by a professional.

Please let me know when you need more info about the subject. If you wish I can make a list of all the possible points of failure you have to check for.

If you decide to buy one, choose an older model. The escapement problems can be fixed, problems because of bad material not.

Kind regards,
Lau

29-2-2020 17:37:10  #5

Auggie wrote:

I hope it is ok to post this link.

Absolutely okay to post links here. And I'm glad you did because those prices are beyond ridiculous for what you're getting. 

Over $300 CAD (including shipping, not including import duties and taxes) is insane for an as-found T-A Tessy. The Erika (looks to be a Model 12) at $200 (not including import costs) isn't much better. 

To put it into perspective, I paid $44 CAD for my Tippa 1 (the more deluxe version of the Tessy) and $15 CAD for my Erika Model 12. Both were in working condition, but needed cleaning.

There's no question that typewriter prices have increased in recent years, but that's completely the fault of buyers who don't seem to mind paying through the teeth for a typewriter. 

As I mentioned in a previous post to you, patience is the secret. It's possible to find such machines locally (I did) and not pay those prices for them. I can only recommend again that you spend some time hunting locally, which honestly is a big part of the fun, and you'll never know what you'll come across for a fraction of the price.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera