You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2020 16:09:04  #1

A Couple of Babies on the Way

Here are the two Hermes Baby portables that I have on the way.  It will probably be a week or so before I have them. But in the meantime, here are a couple photos of them. 

Any of you own a Baby or two or three?  How do you like them?

28-2-2020 20:06:00  #2

Re: A Couple of Babies on the Way

The 1938 Baby is taking forever to get here from The Nehterlands.  It's been two weeks and it hasn't hit the USA yet. UGH.  But DHL shows some progress. 

01-3-2020 21:36:18  #3

I have one, not in love with it. I think that is the thing with ultraportables, they have to sacrifice lots of features of a medium size typewriter in order to make a flat typewriter. And besides having less feature they also type horrible (in general). Besides that they are nice to look at  

01-3-2020 21:39:10  #4

I find that it types pretty well.  No issue for me. 

01-3-2020 22:00:20  #5

Yeah, they type well if you are writing a paragraph, or they look like they type well because you don't know any better. But as soon as you use it for more than a couple of paragraphs, you will start suffering the missing the features that make typing easier, essential things like a proper carriage return lever for example. Is not that they are bad typewriters, they are designed to do their work, which is to be a "travel typewriter".

01-3-2020 22:06:02  #6

I don't know any better.

02-3-2020 13:59:42  #7

steini wrote:

Yeah, they type well if you are writing a paragraph...

Exactly. Ultra-portables, and to a lesser degree portables, really don't compare to a standard typewriter when it comes to performance. There's a reason why typewriters being used daily in an office were standard models. I'll use a portable in the backyard to type out a few pages, but when it comes to serious work I'll always use a standard.

The strange exception to that rule seems to be some authors who exclusively used portables or ultra-portables. It could be argued that the main reason for this was they moved around a lot and coveted portability over performance. There were of course a lot of other writers who owned both; I've seen as many photos of Burroughs, for example, using an Olympia SG1 as I have an Antares Prava or a Hermes Baby.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-3-2020 16:49:29  #8

The 1938 Baby is now officially lost somewhere in Europe.  DHL shows it was "delivered to recipient" in Germany. Too bad, since I live in the USA.  The seller, myself, and DHL have not been able to find out where it actually is. But it never left the continent. That's a shame because not only am I probably not going to get it, we won't know what really happened to it. It was in uncommonly excellent condition.   Ugh.

07-3-2020 15:39:05  #9

I hope you get the money back, but I wont be so sad, there are plenty of typewriters out there, and more than what you might think seem that have barely been used. Good luck with the next, and check for Lettera 22 those, (ultra)portables are probably the best ones in this range of size. 

07-3-2020 16:00:14  #10

The shame of it is, the Baby is/was in absolutely mint condition. 

Board footera