You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-3-2020 14:46:50  #1

Possible Substitute Drive Belts

I have an Apollo 10, Model SP-8000, in house that the drive belt comes off the pulleys from time to time, particularly if the strikers happen to jam.    Examining the belt it appears to have dried out and lost a lot of its elasticity.   That is strictly a guess however as I have never seen another belt to judge it against.  Another guess is that there are no new belts available, and even if there were, they might be new old stock, i.e., the same vintage as the current belt and in the same condition.

Has anybody in this forum experimented with belts meant for other applications and devices as a substitute drive belt and had success?

11-3-2020 22:32:31  #2

Re: Possible Substitute Drive Belts

Hi JS

Could you get a measurement of the top width and the outside length of the belt? Without knowing your location, I wouldn't know if you work in inches or millimetres. However, I came across a company called Rainbow Precision Products that appear to sell micro V-belts with a top width of 1/8" and 3/16". See if this gives you some ideas. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

12-3-2020 06:19:22  #3

I have used a strong bootlace of the correct thickness an width to replace the belt on a
 vintage Imperial typewriter and it appears to work OK.

12-3-2020 11:20:53  #4

Hi Buck

Looks like there may be a little miscommunication here. I believe JS is talking about an electric typewriter which has a continuous drive belt between the electric motor and the drive roller. I'm inclined to think that you are referring to a draw band that connects the main spring drum to the carriage. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On that thought though, should this thread have been posted in the Electric Typewriters sub forum? All the best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

12-3-2020 14:30:30  #5

Thank you and my apologies, skywatcher. I was indeed talking about a drawband! Pkease excuse my ignorance but this subject is new to me and I hope I'm learning fast.

16-3-2020 13:05:15  #6

My apologies for taking so long to reply, particularly when you replied so quickly.  

@shywatcher:  The dimensions of the belt are 11 inches (28 cm) long by 5/16 inches (8 mm) wide by .048 inches (1.22 mm) thick. It is a flat belt and appears to be made of some sort of flexible plastic as opposed to rubber.  It is a translucent yellowish brown color, although the coloring might be due to ageing.   

It is an electric typewriter and it is a drive belt.   If I posted in the wrong forum and it should be in electric typewriters, my apologies. If a moderator wants to move it, that is fine with me.   Without giving it much thought, it seemed since I was trying to fix the typewriter, the section for repairs seemed more appropriate than a more general forum.

16-3-2020 15:13:31  #7

Hi Again JS

With having no experience with any form of Royal electric typewriters, I was just going by what I've seen on the Smith-Corona electrics with the two belt system to increase or decrease drive roller speed depending on impact force required for typing multiple carbon copies.

The belt you're describing is starting to sound like a sewing machine drive belt. Do you know if this belt is or was a toothed belt (timing belt)? I think that finding a suitable replacement belt just got a little more difficult. All the best,

Sky

16-3-2020 16:10:36  #8

When I needed one of these for an Olympia, I cut the proper width from a junked motorcycle inner tube and it has been working fine. Match the length you need to the tube's circumference. The suppleness and friction are perfect.

An O ring might work if the flanges on the pulleys are high enough. Flat-belt pulleys often have a slight convex shape which will push an O ring to the edge.

I had tried a vacuum cleaner drive belt, which was way too stiff. Sewing machine belts are hard enough to find even for sewing machines and suppliers will think you want a belt for an external motor, which are never flat, and the ones for internal motors have a huge range of designs..

16-3-2020 19:38:22  #9

@skywatcher:   It is not toothed and never was. It is simply a flat belt.

@M. Holmes: The pulley surfaces are straight and do not appear to have a convex shape.   The smaller pulley on the motor has a large shoulder on the motor side but other than that, there are no lips or ridges to hold the belt in place.

Interesting idea using the motorcycle inner tube.   If I can find one with the right diameter, I will give it a try.  Another thought might be to apply rosin to the belt.   What I have got to lose.  It is time to get creative for sure.

Thanks for your replies and ideas.

17-5-2022 12:24:19  #10

I have successfully changed the rings in my Smith Coronas with o rings, bought off Amazon. It's running much more quietly now, as the old belts had developed "kink", after being stored for so long. The belts either develop "kinks" or become oval, and that new shape makes the machine a bit louder.

Board footera