You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2020 00:14:43  #1

PB B'laster vs WD40. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

I always though PB B'laster was essentially the same as WD40. When I started reading typewriter stuff online I keep seeing people talk about PB being different. I know not to use WD on moving parts but why is PB ok? Are they that different? I am having a little trouble with my Remington Noiseless 10, the type bars are very slightly binding in the comb slots. This machine has a very different mechanism than "normal" machines, the slots are longer and the part slides through it, instead of arcing through on a pivot. I don't want to make a mess either, so if I can inject a small amount of PB into those comb slots (I use a 3cc syringe for oiling &c, it works great). But won't PB gum up in there like WD?

17-3-2020 01:25:30  #2

Re: PB B'laster vs WD40. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

I solved the problem. The comb comes off easily, held on with 4 screws and has alignment pins. The comb slots have very little actual contact, but the slots toward the platen were full of gunk. I'm happy it was so easy to get that bit off and back on. But I still want to know what the fundamental difference is between PB and WD40.

17-3-2020 03:07:22  #3

If you really want to know the differences between PB'laster (not "PB") and WD-40, then investigate their respective websites for their recommendations and especially their respective Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), rather than ask the general public. PB'laster is a penetrating oil---a "penetrating catalyst" in their description---while WD-40 is a water displacement chemical (that is, neither specifically a penetrant nor a lubricant) so there seems to be no reason to expect them to act or perform similarly. (incidentally, be aware that the WD-40 brandname is used on many, many different products and they market aggressively.)

There is no reason not to use WD-40 on moving parts---just not on precision, small parts. I use it all the time on hand tools and power tools used outdoors. The forces in using such tools (and door hinges, etc.) are plenty strong enough to keep things moving OK.

12-4-2021 19:18:07  #4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zhHiObVBhU

I would think WD-40 is a bad idea on a typewriter, but its hard to discern facts from fictions about WD-40

12-4-2021 19:34:08  #5

Manufacturer calls it PB B'LASTER on their web site...

https://blasterproducts.com/product/pb-blaster-penetrant/

Board footera