You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2020 13:12:39  #1

Animator In Need Of Reference

Greetings To All,
I dig typewriters, though I admit I know nothing about them, and the two I own are buried somewhere in my garage. A situation most heinous. That said, I am here because I would like to request your help, if I may. I am an animator, and my latest project involves several shots of a writer working at a typewriter. Hands and keys I can animate just fine, however, one shot is quite specific and I want to get it right. Since I do not have access to my typewriters for reference I am turning to you all in hope that you can help me out! 

I am looking for reference footage, shot from the top-down of the type hammers (?) hitting the paper. I just want to make sure I get the motion/angle of the hammers right. I realize this is a big ask, especially from a new guy however if anyone here is willing to film that with their phone, pop it on Youtube and share a link it would be much appreciated!

I hope I got the terminology right, I had to google it. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Trevor  

15-3-2020 19:37:56  #2

Re: Animator In Need Of Reference

Hi Trevor

This certainly sounds like an interesting project from a specific point of view (pun intended). Do you know the genre of typewriter your animated typist is working with? My reason for asking is that standard (desk top) typewriters, portable and travel typewriters often have slightly different angles of contact between the type slugs and the platen.

For example, the early Remington portables struck the platen almost on top, while the later Smith-Coronas struck the platen a lot further down on the circumference of the platen perpendicular to the typist's eyes, hope this makes sense. Many of us have YouTube accounts and will sometimes link a short video to a post so other members can see the problem the forum member is trying to explain. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-3-2020 01:46:03  #3

Sky,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, also, I appreciate the pun! I believe I understand what you are talking about... The typewriter I used for reference for my model is a Portable Seville 3000,  coloured orange to be exact (though I took some artistic liberty with that).

I thank you again for the reply and hope this answers your question! 

All the best!

Trevor

16-3-2020 12:04:03  #4

Hi Again Trevor

Looks like you've chosen one of the lesser known Japanese made travel typewriters. My research indicates this machine was made for Western Stamping Co. by Konryu Corporation of Japan. Western Stamping Co. made the Tom Thumb line of toy typewriters and cash registers. From what I can gather after a little research, Western Stamping Co. had these (dare I say "real") typewriters made for them sometime in the 1970's by Konryu Corporation in an effort to break into the main line travel typewriter market.

It looks like these machines were for all intensive purposes mostly plastic except for the internal workings. Looking at various pictures, I's say that a Brother Charger 11 would give a reasonably accurate representation of the correct type bar to platen contact angle. I'd have to do a little digging in my storage shed to find my Brother Charger 11.

Therefore, if any other forum members have easy access to a Brother Charger 11 and can make a short video shot from directly above of the type bars striking and returning, I'm sure Trevor would be most appreciative. Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-3-2020 02:16:12  #5

Sky,
Wow, you really did some digging! I'd hate to have anyone go out of their way for the shot. I was merely looking for a typewriter that was very low profile when I was making the design. Something "boxy" and 80's ish but compact. For me, the important part is how the hammers transition from the rest position the the "strike", how it looks in the forward to back...I realize it's a fast motion...but, I get stuck on these type of details.

I really appreciate the time you have spent on this!

Thank you so much,

Trevor

17-3-2020 13:44:40  #6

Which frame rate are you using? you might have trouble on appreciating the movement of the hammers, and it might not look right. It could be visually nicer a close shot of the text appearing on the paper, then you can barely see the hammers but you see the typeslug (just the end of the hammer) going clack on the paper and the letters appearing. Just to give an alternative idea. It is a very classic shot but there is a reason for it ;)

17-3-2020 14:27:41  #7

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2020 19:27:30  #8

Bravo! is "a bit" slowmo but it is a good resource in animation  

17-3-2020 20:38:31  #9

Steini,
Thank you for your reply! I am animating on twos for most of the action, so 12fps. Faster actions i.e. the typewriter I will probably switch to ones (24fps).  

You may be on to something, with mixing up the angle of the shots...I could always get my top-down shot of the typewriter but show only the hands typing...then cut to a side-on view similar to Uwe's lovely Gif! It would add some diversity to the shots and the movement of the hammers would read better!  

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for providing some new ideas!

Trevor

17-3-2020 20:39:44  #10

Uwe,
That Gif is awesome! Thank you, you rock!

Trevor

Board footera