You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-7-2019 10:06:19  #21

Re: If you could only keep a five typewriters from your collection....

Black Smith Corona Silent (40's) 
Lettera 32
Hemes Baby
Groma Kolibri
Olympia SM3

19-7-2019 11:19:17  #22

Hi Parum, I collected the SM9 this morning. One careful lady owner, dust cover and case in good condition. The machine itself had / has some dust but the cleaning brush set (and my trusty can of compressed air) have removed most of it already. The overall condition is excellent, everything works as it should. The font is good too, quite small and neat. I am surprised by how much I like the machine already - I really thought that nothing would top the SM3, and I thoroughly enjoy using my Travel Riter too, but this one just makes me want to sit down and type. It's a newer model, 1977 / 1978; this model has been called 'lowest quality' of the SM9 range but I am one happy man! I'll post some photos shortly, but first, some more cleaning . I picked it up for 25 euro, and it came with a ribbon which worked plus a couple of spare ribbons. I forgot to mention it has the 13 inch carriage - makes little difference to me, it fits beautifully in the case. Thanks for your interest.

21-7-2019 14:41:24  #23

#1 - Smith Corona Silent Super, a machine that was rescued from an abusive previous owner. It shows it but is a joy to type on.
#2 - Adler Tippa 1 with Gothic typeface. It was uncooperative when I first acquired it but it has warmed up to  me and functions just fine now.
#3 - Royal Model 0. This was my father-in-law's college typewriter. My wife also used it in college so I'll certainly keep it.
#4 - Smith Corona Skywriter. This well used 1955 machine seems to be one of the best constructed typers I own.
#5 - Cole Steel. This like new typewriter was given to me because the previous owner couldn't figure how to unlock the carriage. The top of the case is missing but who cares. I don't.

28-9-2019 08:28:41  #24

1961 Olympia SG-1
1965 Montgomery Ward 510 (Brother JP-3) Script
1971 Penncrest Caravelle 12
1958 S-C Electric
1957 S-C Silent Super

28-9-2019 13:46:43  #25

An update, since my collection has grown since I posted my top 5......

SM3
SM9
Remington Travel-Riter
Remington Super-Riter
Underwood Champion

Sounds odd, but the Alpina didn't make the fin al five...

08-3-2020 00:36:28  #26

Tough call, but:

1931 Smith-Corona portable
1948 Smith-Corona Silent
1950 Princess (gotta have a sub-portable)
1952 Smith-Corona Silent
1965 Olympia SM9 De Luxe

18-3-2020 18:31:34  #27

That's easy! I only own six machines, and one of them I don't like! (the five being my Rem. Noiseless 10, Underwodd 3 14", Royal KMM14, Royal 10, and the Fox 3). I do want a Spanish language machine as well as a portable, the Royal 10 can go (it'll be a birthday present soon for my friends kid), so if I could find a machine that's both a portable and Spanish language, that'll be ideal. I've seen a few Hermes machines with Spanish keyboards, I would love one of those. The best portable I ever had was Japanese-made, it was really a fine machine, but this was 20 years ago and I don't remember what it was called. I've tried to do a little research to see if anything rings a bell (the margin rings the bell, right?). It had a Japanese name, not an American company but made by a Japanese plant. Maybe I should ask one of the portable people... Ive got 3 bicycles, one car and one motorhome RV, you might say I'm a portable person... Back to the Spanish keyboard portable: if you have one for sale, DON'T TELL ME! I recently spent a lot of money purchasing that Fox and now theres a global pandemic which means the value of a dollar might not be what it was when I bought the Fox-- in 2021 money, that might be $20,000. I hear people are selling hand sanitizer for $70 a pop. So my typewriter collection is going to stay at five...

11-6-2020 14:32:59  #28

Hard to say, so far 
Olivetti Lettera 22
Hermes Rocket
Olympia SM-3

11-6-2020 15:09:48  #29

Royal KMG
Smith-Corona Silent-Super
Royal Royalite
Smith-Corona Silent
Underwood 18 (but this may be usurped by either of the following: Lettera 22, Skyriter after they are cleaned)

Phil Forrest

30-7-2020 15:56:04  #30

That’s very difficult to say, many of them are used for different purposes. If I really had to narrow it down, I would keep my Groma Kolibri, my 1954 Hermes Baby, My 1939 Erika M, 1974 Olympia Report Deluxe and my Olympia SG1, as these are the machines I most commonly type with. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

Board footera