You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2020 06:45:14  #1

Help needed with Imperial Model 50(?)

Hi all, I'm a new member so please excuse any mistakes. I am trying to clean up and restore an Imperial (Model 50, I think) Serial No. N 9434 (on disk at rear).I have a problem with a linkage, below the Ribbon Vibrator, which appears to affect 1. Stencil, Black and Red ribbon positions and 2. Vibrator working. A shaft connecting the  the Ribbon 'Colour' Selector has this linkage on its right end (below the Vibrator) but the screw that holds it to the shaft was loose so it has lost its position. Can anyone help in determining the correct radial position of the linkage and exactly what it is meant to do? (All this is with the keyboard removed).
The 'linkage' I'm talking about is, what looks like' brass with a linked pivot piece, overall approx 36x10x5mm. Be very grateful for any assistance, Thanks.Help needed for Imperial Model 50?

12-3-2020 15:03:20  #2

Re: Help needed with Imperial Model 50(?)

If you are talking about the part that I think you are, that part (blacked steel, not brass) controls the ribbon height.  The screw should be hexagonal head (6 BA) if we have the right part.  Although you can struggle with an open-ended miniature spanner, you would be best advised to find a proper 6BA nut spinner.  The screw has to be done up fairly tight (although not so tight that you snap it off !)  What you will need to do is half-tighten the screw, and try the linkage in different positions, testing each time with the type-unit in place, to see which way you need to go.  Once you have found the correct position by trial and error, you can tighten the screw fairly hard.

12-3-2020 15:53:23  #3

Thank you, thetypewriterman, for your post. It sounds like you have correctly identified the part that is causing me trouble (The pivotting link is black but the main component is clear on this machine). Looks like I must follow your advice and use trial and error to find the correct solution. A big problem though is that not only must I find the best position for the linkage, this must be in association with the left hand end of the mounting shaft which apparently deteermines Stencil, Black or Red. I'll give it a go and post again if I can solve this question. Thank you.

19-3-2020 15:55:29  #4

Sorry but I'm still having troubles with the part described so well in 12/12/2020 post. The left hand end of the shaft controls the ribbon height ; the right hand end end controls the ribbon vibrator movement. Trying to get the whole assembly to work together is proving really tough. Can anyone show me a video or still photos of this assembly being moved (by finger on the pin at right hand end) so that I can get an idea of what should be happening.  Thank uou.

20-3-2020 06:12:28  #5

My apologies again. My post 19/03/2020 at 20.55pm quoting  ".........the part described so well in 12/12/2020 post" should have read ".......the part described so well in 12/03/2020 post".  So sorry for any confusion.

Board footera