You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2020 13:47:24  #1

Olivetti Lettera 22 carriage adjustment

I have this Lettera 22 and the carriage is a bit wobbly. Lets see if you can give me some clues to adjust this. I know that there are 3 spots where the carriague is guided through, and  I can adjust a pair of screws in each of the spots and fiddle with that so the carriage is going smooth when the 3 spots are aligned. I am sure that there is a way of doing it systematically, so I am searching for any trick you have to adjust this elements, if it that the actual problem. If you have any other ideas of what can it be please let me know. 

19-3-2020 14:02:01  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 22 carriage adjustment

Well, it might as well have a missing bearing on one of the sides, because it is rolling ok in on side, and in the other side is a bit wobbly, but is not that much either, you could type perfectly on it, is just a bit annoying not to have a smooth carriage movement in such a nice machine.

20-3-2020 11:33:01  #3

20-3-2020 11:34:24  #4

Pictures from the side and from the back of what I think it has to be adjusted. 

23-3-2020 14:42:02  #5

Really nobody knows in this forum how to adjust a carriage rail of a Lettera 22? 

23-3-2020 17:30:09  #6

I don't. I expect that most of us here don't. We would have to inspect it and watch the actions and figure it out.

This should help: http://www.lulu.com/shop/ted-munk/the-olivetti-lettera-22-typewriter-repair-bible/paperback/product-24190992.html

23-3-2020 18:15:22  #7

Sorry, just getting frustrated with this machine. I managed to take out the carriage so I could use a straight element to level the 3 points where the rail travels, I reinstalled the carriage, and it is better, but I am really annoyed that is not perfectly smooth. This is the moment when I have to accept that an amateur fiddling with high tech machines doesn´t work always as planed ;)

Thanks for the link, I never bought any of this bibles, for sure it would help to advance in knowledge and improve the results. In the end of the day I am happy that I didn´t force or destroy any part, loose any screw and I managed to put it all back together and working as it was! It is always nice to see that improvement.   

24-3-2020 04:37:50  #8

There will always be a slight 'bump' as the carriage leaves one roller and encounters the next.  This is quite normal.  Think of it as relay runners handing over the baton to each other during a race !  You may well find that you can feel the 'bump' when you are moving the carriage by hand but not when you are typing or returning the carriage.  Again this is perfectly normal. It is very easy to become obsessive about this !

24-3-2020 11:55:57  #9

Thanks, that is everything I needed to hear I got so focused on the bump that it was difficult to get over it and accept it as part of the machine, I guess most of the machines I have used have a rail for the carriage, all the way through, and that makes it perfectly smooth. Like the Lettera 32. Well now lets find another typewriter to fix!    

Board footera