You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2020 10:29:10  #1

How to remove a platen on an Underwood n°3 11 in ?

Hi everyone,

I have an underwood n° 3 model 11 inches. I have been trying to remove the platen but I can't figure out how to do it. There are screws on each side of the platen that I removed. I was able to remove the right knob. I read online that I had to pull the left knob so the rod would then come out but it doesn't. 

I am attaching some pictures : 

Thank you in advance for your help!

22-3-2020 18:46:31  #2

Re: How to remove a platen on an Underwood n°3 11 in ?

This link might help you, it is from an underwood 5 but it might be similar. good luck. 
https://www.instructables.com/id/APC-Project-Typewriter-Inner-Workings/

24-3-2020 11:27:05  #3

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the author of the article doesn't remove it nor does show how. I guess I will have to try harder then! Thank you anyway!

24-3-2020 11:46:59  #4

From the text: 

"Removing the platen requires removing both side knobs, the indenting mechanism from the left side, and the carriage return lever."

I think is pretty clear. Again I am not sure on the similarities of the N3 to the N5, you will tell us once you are done!   

24-3-2020 16:10:09  #5

Thank you! I skipped that part I guess... I think removing only the right knob was enough.I couldn't figure out what to unscrew to be able to remove the platen. Finally there was one big screw on the left side next to a gear wheel. When I unscrewed it I was able to pull the rod that was inside the platen. I uploaded some pictures :

After cleaning it, it looks in pretty good shape : 

I removed way more parts than necessary but I plan to fully restore it :

Board footera