You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2020 01:49:59  #1

Fox 3 #6637

Finally got the Fox 3 home from storage today, I haven't really looked closely at it until now, I only recently purchased it and it went straight to storage. I thought it a good idea to get it home while I still could. THAT 15 MILE TRIP was the last time I drive my car anyplace for anything but the most essential tasks. A typewriter, no matter how special it is to me, is not worth the health of my country. The last handshake I'll ever do until it is safe was from the fellow I bought it from, a few weeks ago. What a bizarre world this suddenly is... The serial number is 6637, which puts in in 1903. I am very happy with it, the graphics and striping are very good, its got a thick dust layer but no corrosion or bad wear, the type is sharp and not worn very very much, from what I can tell. It is missing a few parts, so any Fox people out there? Specifically the crescent-shaped pawl that works on the spring drum ratchet wheel. I don't know the right nomenclature, but there you are. The platen is rock-hard but I think it will hold up. Its blue, the rubber has turned blue. The world's turning blue all around me, we might not have internet (or democracy) in two years, but my typewriter has survived two world wars one pandemic and one great depression and with a little (well, maybe a bit more than "little") care and assuming I can find the missing bits, it'll work forever. It came with the metal cover even. I've read probably everything there is online about the Fox typewriter Co, what an interesting company. The Oliver company seems to have an interesting story, but Fox's comes in a close second. What happened to them by Corona (says Trev with a somber note) is indicative of the ruthless and greasy competition that was the norm. i read the brilliant book by Tyler Anderson, but haven't found any repair instructions at all. I'll read the general typewriter repair books before I do anything anyway. I'm very excited about this typewriter, but what a weird backdrop! its the first one I've had that was "valuable" or rare-ish, its BEAUTIFUL, and in good shape, completely rebuildable. Like a beautiful lover, I cant take my eyes off of it. I haven't discovered its gender, but I suspect it is a male, if you look through the frame on the sides and look closely at the two round weights that work on the ribbon spools....

25-3-2020 02:02:33  #2

Re: Fox 3 #6637

I wanted to add, this two-"speed" escapement I've read about on these things, does anybody know when that was introduced? I haven't found anything that might resemble that, but don't really know what I'm looking at. I'm about a million miles from being a fast enough typer to be able to use it, but it sounds like a brilliant invention, interesting

25-3-2020 02:17:01  #3

And in regard to repair instruction, I had forgot that some of that Iformation in Tyler Anderson's book.

25-3-2020 02:23:43  #4

I think I've discovered the 2 speed escapement, and I think there may be part of the escapement mechanism missing. I'd like to see a picture if anybody has a Fox 3 they could take for me

26-3-2020 14:32:11  #5

I put all the pics up on TWDB. I'm discovering more bits are missing. I'll have to find those...

Board footera